Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bead Lock Wheels

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

Bead Lock Wheels

I see lots of cars now running with bead locks and I wonder if they really need them. Fuel cars, no doubt, but your everyday bracket car, well I have my doubts. My question is do I need to put bead locks on my car, a 3000lb car with somewhere around 1000hp?

I run 6.8 sec quarters at 198mph and use rim screws. Bead locks look cool, cost a hellova lot and are really only needed over 200 mph.
    It Ain't Over Til Its NOVA - 634ci of S*#t Your Pants!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I can tell you why most put them on bracket cars ... they are more consistent, its been proven several times.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

So would you use double or single bead locks?

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    I can tell you why most put them on bracket cars ... they are more consistent, its been proven several times.
    I was wondering how bead locks are more consistent? I use rims screws and the tires do not move on the rims. If they did, I would see it in the bead being torn by the movement of the screws.
    Is it the extra mass of the lock rings being so far from the center point of the axle?

Less sidewall movement not tire movement on the rim ....

But of course this is to a point if you dont have the power to lug the extra weight your just wasting your time, but by all means if you got the HP the beadlock is the ticket ..
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member DYNO TECH
    I thought about the bead locks for my wheels, but decided since the locks add about 8 lbs per wheel there was no performance gain by using them. It's been said every 10 lb of rotational weight is equal to 100lbs of sprung weight. So thats like adding 160 lb. to your car. Locks do look cool though! :wink:
    'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

http://www.adinms.com/sitebuildercon...junkresize.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by blittle
    I thought about the bead locks for my wheels, but decided since the locks add about 8 lbs per wheel there was no performance gain by using them. It's been said every 10 lb of rotational weight is equal to 100lbs of sprung weight. So thats like adding 160 lb. to your car. Locks do look cool though! :wink:
    3 thousands difference back to back weld beadlock vs nonbeadlock same hoosier tire
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member DYNO TECH
    3 thousands difference back to back weld beadlock vs nonbeadlock same hoosier tire
    Can't argue with that. May be a bigger difference a SB than a BB?? :?
    'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.'

Thomas Jefferson

http://www.adinms.com/sitebuildercon...junkresize.jpg

Can't argue with that. May be a bigger difference a SB than a BB?? :?
    I have no doubt if you dont have the HP/TQ to lug the added weight along they will be much slower. Them bad boys are heavy !
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com