I'm building another short block with a Dart SHP Block using the same
flat tappet cam, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to send
my old iron eagles, that are matched to a team g manifold, and have
some port work done.
My current combo is:

383,13-1,.558 int,.550 ex,260,[email protected] comp flat tappet,stock 215 Dart
Iron Eagle Platinums,just bowl blended,Manley 6 inch rods,Super Victor
port matched,750 APD Alky carb, in my 3100 lb 68 camaro

Do you think I would gain some h.p. by porting the old iron eagle heads?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:53 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Iron Eagles work great out of the box, not much gained from porting them.

JMO

Zip.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

Zip,

Who told you that? Those heads really respond to porting. Even just basic stuff perks them up pretty good. Valve job, chamber work, bowl and short turn. The ex. ports come to life with porting.

Frank
Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 AM
et7333
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by Pwmax
Zip,

Who told you that? Those heads really respond to porting. Even just basic stuff perks them up pretty good. Valve job, chamber work, bowl and short turn. The ex. ports come to life with porting.

Frank
Frank what type of GAINS are you talking about using the same cam I've listed in my current combo?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:17 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Baseing my thinking on Dart 308's B/BLK heads, Dart tech said a good porter might get an extra 25 CFM with bowl work and runner work. I might very well be wrong on the sm/blk heads i've never personally ran them.

Zip.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:18 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

25 cfm is 25 cfm. On an engine making say 2-2.3 per cfm, thats a big gain in power. As far as the small block heads, the gains won't be earth shattering as far as et gain. .2 and 4-5mph would be a reasonable gain, without changing anything else. Sounds like a similiar 406 I did a while back, flat tappet deal. Iron Eagle Plat 215's. Did some basic detail work, it made 580hp. He made 300+ passes on it, and had us freshen it. Added 2.08 intakes, and did a bit more work, still nothing crazy, it picked up 35hp from the additional head work. Keep in mind, they weren't box stock to begin with, when the engine was new. So, from box stock to a full basic port job, there is 40-50hp in them. Obviously with an even bigger intake valve, and some radical porting, the potential is even better, but its application specific.

Frank
Old 12-21-2009, 03:46 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

I say for what your doing leave them alone.

For one for the price difference you could have bought some dart pro 1's and saved a few pounds
Old 12-21-2009, 05:54 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i have some Iron eagle cast heads on a 10:1 compression 406ci with a flat tappet 520 lift cam (street cam)...victor jr (stock) and a holley 750cfm off the shelf ( still has Horn) and it made 460hp and about the same amount of Tq...we did nothing to heads but drill steam holes.

i am wanting to say they are 215's...but for some reason i was thinking they were 2.02's or possibly 2.05's...its been so long ago we put this together i can't remember...

My engine Guy said with some port work on these heads along with some intake work and a more agreesive camshaft and bumping compression up a point we could get toward 600hp mark..

i ain't gonna screw with it with the stock 400 block....its old and Tired

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 12-21-2009, 08:26 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default 215's

Brian,
You do Realize that the 215 is the Intake Runner size?

Back when I was Younger and Thought that Drag Racing was to Expensive and MyWife and Myself decided that Toilet Bowl Racing would be Much CHEAPER???
I Built a Few 383's and the 215 Iron Eagle were the Head of Choice,now these were like the very 1st set that came down the Line?
My Personal Opinion?
I Had 2 sets of these,1 set was Ported by a Local Guy that is GREAT!!
The Other set was done Professionally by Rons(I THINK)?
Well,either Motor would do the Job?
Took set #1 off,put on the OLD Sportsman II's,!Won the Feature the Next Night out!
Dont get Me WRONG the Darts worked OK,but the Motor just wasnt Making BIG STEAM?Put the Worlds on and you could Hear the Responce DiFFFF.
From what I Understand,the Platinum Series Head IS WAY Better?
But,I cant Say?Cause My TOILET BOWL Racing Days Are Long over!
Later
G 8)
Old 12-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

bbchevy,

Thats a little different, as you need part throttle and off the corner tq, plus in circle track stuff, in many cases, the guy with the most power doesn't always win.
Sometimes porting doesn't show the gain the flow sheet sais it should, because in the case above, he doesn't want to change anything else. For example, he could put in a big 280 at .050 .800 lift roller, and it would pick up, but not like you "think" it should. Now, fully port those heads, put in a bigger valve, and hang on, that port job seems magical. take that same set of heads off, put them on a 230 at .050, .480 lift hyd. cam 383, replace a set of pocket ported Vortecs, and watch it turn into a total slug. Its application specific.

Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -