CAM WALK

Old 12-15-2009, 04:42 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Default CAM WALK

HAS ANYONE USED A CLOYES 2 PIECE QUICK BUTTON TIMING COVER.BY THEIR ADD YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ADJUST CAM END PLAY WITHOUT REMOVING THE COVER,GOOD OR BAD IDEA?
AND YES MY CAM IS WALKING,IT IS SET AT 38* AT IDLE BUT WHEN I REV THE MOTOR IT RETARDS ABOUT 2-3*
Old 12-15-2009, 05:36 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

We are using them on each of our SBCs. Very nice product. They are built very strong and the machining on both of them was very good.

Curtis
Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 AM
wmeabates
MASTER BUILDER

I have used one on a sbc for 2 years with no problems.When I first put it on the inside of the cover was hitting the front main cap before the cover sealed on the gasket.I removed some metal from the cover to get clearance.Bill Bates.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:53 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Just curious, what ignition box are you using?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 PM
stickboy331
APPRENTICE

we have a timing lite mounted on a stand,that runs during dyno pulls.i have found it is comon to gain or lose timing at the top end of the pulls. not realy sure why? last hei with advance lock out would retard 2 to 3 in the last 500rpm of the pull. slack in the timing chain, distributor shaft end play, gear wear, cam walk. all might contribute some, and lets not forget the control module. i like solid cam thrust buttons. roller bearing types have seized up, and the needle bearings have gotten through moroso oil pick tubes :cry: had good luck with cloyes covers, some times they dont get along with stock type water pumps. hope this helps stickboy331
Old 12-16-2009, 12:40 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by shawnp
Just curious, what ignition box are you using?
MSD 6AL
Old 12-16-2009, 05:20 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: CAM WALK

Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
HAS ANYONE USED A CLOYES 2 PIECE QUICK BUTTON TIMING COVER.BY THEIR ADD YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ADJUST CAM END PLAY WITHOUT REMOVING THE COVER,GOOD OR BAD IDEA?
AND YES MY CAM IS WALKING,IT IS SET AT 38* AT IDLE BUT WHEN I REV THE MOTOR IT RETARDS ABOUT 2-3*
put a crank trigger on it and that problem will be gone ... but I can tell you mine does the samething without trigger, I hook up trigger and its steady and runs identical
Old 12-16-2009, 05:24 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: CAM WALK

Originally Posted by hammertime
Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
put a crank trigger on it and that problem will be gone ... but I can tell you mine does the samething without trigger, I hook up trigger and its steady and runs identical
Just curious how would a crank trigger stop cam walk?or are you saying my cam isnt walking?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

It's hard for me to think that cam walk can cause 2 to 3 degrees of change in the timing. What David was talking about (crank trigger) takes away all the movment of the cam and gives you the true timing. The cam twist and flexes due to driving the oil pump, it's takes 25 HP and more to drive an oil pump at high RPMS, especially if you're running heavy weight oil and pushing 60 to 100 LBS of oil pressure and that's where most of your timing change is comming from. That's why a crank trigger gets it right. Think about it the cam is about .800 dia. slightly more than 3/4" dia and 2 ft. long. That's why most of the big dogs run dry sumps and crank triggers and all NASCAR teams do.

I'm not saying your cam is not moving, but i am saying that a button will not correct the timing problem completely.

JMO

Zip.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:47 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by zipper06
It's hard for me to think that cam walk can cause 2 to 3 degrees of change in the timing. What David was talking about (crank trigger) takes away all the movment of the cam and gives you the true timing. The cam twist and flexes due to driving the oil pump, it's takes 25 HP and more to drive an oil pump at high RPMS, especially if you're running heavy weight oil and pushing 60 to 100 LBS of oil pressure and that's where most of your timing change is comming from. That's why a crank trigger gets it right. Think about it the cam is about .800 dia. slightly more than 3/4" dia and 2 ft. long. That's why most of the big dogs run dry sumps and crank triggers and all NASCAR teams do.

I'm not saying your cam is not moving, but i am saying that a button will not correct the timing problem completely.
Thanks for the info Zip i just talked to MSD and he said to install a crank trigger and the problem should go away if it doesnt than more than likely the cam is walking.How much timing change would you exspect if my cam was walking.

JMO

Zip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -