Stupid BBC Dart Head Question

Old 12-13-2009, 03:19 PM
MCSS86TA82
SHOW GUEST

Default Stupid BBC Dart Head Question

My 86 Monte needed to go on a weight reduction plan so I thought I'd go get a set of aluminum heads. After all you can only do so much with the old cast 049 heads which weigh about as much as the car. So I bought a set of Dart Pro 1's 310cc unassembled. While they are still sitting on my dining room table I noticed that the rocker stud holes go right into the intake runners. This was kind of a shock to me because all the heads I've seen (cast gm's) never had the bottom of the rocker studs sitting inside the runners. Doesn't this cause a problem? I thought I would just trim the stud but I would still be left with cleaning up where the tap runs down into the runner. I was wondering how you guys deal with this.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:12 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Stupid BBC Dart Head Question

Originally Posted by MCSS86TA82
My 86 Monte needed to go on a weight reduction plan so I thought I'd go get a set of aluminum heads. After all you can only do so much with the old cast 049 heads which weigh about as much as the car. So I bought a set of Dart Pro 1's 310cc unassembled. While they are still sitting on my dining room table I noticed that the rocker stud holes go right into the intake runners. This was kind of a shock to me because all the heads I've seen (cast gm's) never had the bottom of the rocker studs sitting inside the runners. Doesn't this cause a problem? I thought I would just trim the stud but I would still be left with cleaning up where the tap runs down into the runner. I was wondering how you guys deal with this.
My bmfs are the sameway they take special studs
Old 12-13-2009, 06:10 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

My Brodix are the same way.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:09 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

My crew chief takes a 'special' stud also !!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
OOOOps....wrong forum ops: ops: ops: ops: ops:
Old 12-13-2009, 07:16 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD

My crew chief takes a 'special' stud also !!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
OOOOps....wrong forum ops: ops: ops: ops: ops:
BRAGGER!! :P
Old 12-14-2009, 05:24 AM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

lol
Old 12-14-2009, 04:03 PM
MCSS86TA82
SHOW GUEST

Got it. Shorter stud length (ouch) on the intake rockers. looks like I just have to live with the intake runner wall that isn't smooth where the stud tap came through. I was thinking (there I go again) there was some magic epoxy that could be used to smooth that up.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:48 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

You can use epoxy to fill the gap left by the shorter studs then after it dries you can smooth it down some with fine grit sand paper, the air/fuel mixture will never know the difference.

Cp
Old 12-15-2009, 05:40 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I wish I had a pic of mine, they were smoothed before, it pulled one heli-coil out so I pulled the heads off and had inserts put into them right in the port ... the difference on the track and dyno ... ZERO ...
Old 12-15-2009, 07:19 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by MCSS86TA82
Got it. Shorter stud length (ouch) on the intake rockers. looks like I just have to live with the intake runner wall that isn't smooth where the stud tap came through. I was thinking (there I go again) there was some magic epoxy that could be used to smooth that up.
Manley Magic Seal Epoxy #40187 is for intake manifolds and intake runners. Goes for $28. I have a kit in stock that I can send you.
Send me PM.
Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -