Radiator or not on my altered

Old 12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
HitManSlingshot
SHOW GUEST

Default Radiator or not on my altered

Would like to know pros and cons of running a radiator on my altered thats going to run hilborn fuel injection on alky..
Old 12-10-2009, 06:12 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

I wouldn't have a car without one. I just put a bigger radiator in my altered this year. What kind of racing are you planning on doing? Will you have time between rounds to cool a car with no radiator?
I assume you plan on towing the car around. I drive mine to staging, race and drive it back to the pits. My car also has an alternator. I don't have to charge between rounds.
When we put my car together, the idea was for the car to be as self-suficient as possible. I can load, unload and race by myself.

BTW I run pump gas. I know alky runs cooler.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:25 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

I have never had a rad on any of my alcohol dragsters , but as Dennis said , do you plan on driving to and back from the track??? my cars are towed to the lanes and then back to the trailer ..on an 1/8 mile pass the engine temp gets to around 180....it really depends on how you plan to use the car,,,JMO,,,Paul
Old 12-10-2009, 06:51 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

some factors to consider,#1 if you live in the south where the temp. gets up too a 100*, good plan, #2 you'll have run a belt drive pump, if you run a water pump on the front of the motor #3 if you plan on driving it to the lanes and back from the run, good plan and if you're running a 1/4 mile, good plan, because if you running brackets there's not enough time too cool down without a radiator.

JMO

Zip.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:31 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Zipper, you forgot one.... You dont run a radiator when your heads have cracks in them.... lol

I have Ran my alky motors with and without cooling systems.

It depends on how u are using the car as already stated. My cars get towed and have plenty of time to cool down if they did ever get any heat in them.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:48 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kwkracing
Zipper, you forgot one.... You dont run a radiator when your heads have cracks in them.... lol

I have Ran my alky motors with and without cooling systems.

It depends on how u are using the car as already stated. My cars get towed and have plenty of time to cool down if they did ever get any heat in them.
, i don't run water in my blown alcohol engine either, but then it's not run in a bracket situation

Zip.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
#2 you'll have run a belt drive pump, if you run a water pump on the front of the motor
I use an electric proform on mine. Bolts in the stock location.

http://www.crossbonesmotorsports.com...ater-pump.html

I know where there is a Shogun remote water pump for sale. :roll:
Old 12-11-2009, 05:58 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Meziere(spell), electric inline (remote)on mine, bolted to the frame. Ron Davis dragster radiator.Works like a champ.