help finding a enclosed race trailer

Old 11-30-2009, 07:53 PM
katie
SHOW GUEST

Default help finding a enclosed race trailer

Hey ,
I 'm in the market for a used 24' or 26' trailer.
What should I look for who makes the best or better trailers.
Which trailers should I stay away from?
Is a one piece roof reallly better?

Any help would be great
Thanks rob
Old 11-30-2009, 08:50 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Well what type of trailer are you looking for as in a gooseneck or bumper pull??

I go with either Hallmark or Featherlite. There may be other around that are just as good but those are the ones I would go with. JMO
Old 12-01-2009, 03:35 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

I have a 28' Team Spirit that I'm happy very with. My dad has a 24' from the same company. We bought ours on RJ from Proline Trailer Sales. My brother has a triple axle from one of the big brands. I don't remember which one. You have to take into account your budget and How are you going to use the trailer. Do you use it to tow your car 10 miles to the track 5 times a year or are you going to be towing 100,000 miles a year all over the country. Trailers also have different types of suspension. Some are better than others.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:53 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

One important thing that I look at is the axle capacity. If you are going to be hauling a car, tools, ATV or golf cart, etc. then go with the 5,000 lb axles (10,000 gvwr). JMO

TS1955
Old 12-01-2009, 04:34 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

The sky is the limit with trailers depending on budget

The must for me on a trailer
16" rims with 8 lug axles
Load range E tires

I see way to many people blow tires 15" latley thats a problem no one wants.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:28 AM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Stay away from Haulmark, they are a piece of crap. At least mine is. I should have just built me another one. Try Millenium. They look to be good trailers.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:15 AM
blowninjected540
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by CamBirdRacing
Stay away from Haulmark, they are a piece of crap. At least mine is. I should have just built me another one. Try Millenium. They look to be good trailers.
X2 on the haulmark trailers. Mine was a budget 24 footer and It feel apart before your eyes. (You get what you pay 4.

I bought a 2009 Storm 30 footer 10000 gvw from pro-line trailers this year. Very happy with the quality.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:35 AM
katie
SHOW GUEST

Default trailer

I'm going with a bumper pull.
I have heard a couple bad things on hallmark.
What about timberwolf,pace or contintial cargo.
Boy I guess I didn't realize there were so many trailer manufactures.

So what about the roof?
I was told the two types are alum.and galvinized steel...Which one is better?
Thanks for the feed back.
Rob
Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
16" rims with 8 lug axles Load range E tires
I see way to many people blow tires 15" latley thats a problem no one wants.
If you don't go with 16" E rated tires, MAKE SURE any smaller tires are a "TR" rated tire. These are spceial trailer tires made for carrying heavy loads. I had been towing trailers for years, and I didn't know that!

I had been just using whatever tire I could find, then when I went to replace all four of my worn tires, there was no shop in my small town who would sell me any tires...? One saleman finally explained these "TR" rated tires and they had to be ordered, as nobody here stocked them. He sternly warned me DO NOT just put on any tire, you will have problems, sooner or later! He said that is why nobody else would sell me any replacment tires for my car trailer without ordering the TR rated, because of insurance liability issues.

I then went home and did some internet research about these TR tires, and found out he was absolutely correct. Even though I only have a 16' open dirt car race trailer, I still carry a lot of load with the built on toolbox, tire rack and all my gear. I bet I am near max rated load when fully loaded with everything.

I then found DiscountTireDirect.com and ordered four new Goodyear TR205-75-R15 tires right to my door for half what the local shops wanted for them. I put them on myself in my shop, and they are some great tires!

Just thought I would share this in case anyone else didn't know about TR rated trailer tires...

Jim
Old 12-03-2009, 06:11 AM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: trailer

Originally Posted by katie
I'm going with a bumper pull.
I have heard a couple bad things on hallmark.
What about timberwolf,pace or contintial cargo.
Boy I guess I didn't realize there were so many trailer manufactures.

So what about the roof?
I was told the two types are alum.and galvinized steel...Which one is better?
Thanks for the feed back.
Rob

Roof-aluminum. Galvanized steel is just a coating on the steel. If it stratches any galvanize off, it will rust.

When you look for trailers, crawl underneath it and make sure the main frame rails run the full length of the trailer. Some manufactorer's will "scab" in the dove tail part of the trailer, it's the back floor area. That's something I never did when building my trailers, I always used one piece frame rails. And get the heaviest axles you can get for it.