Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The right sbc for the job, stroker or no

Junior Member APPRENTICE

The right sbc for the job, stroker or no

Guy's, I have a 1962 ford falcon with a sbc 350 in her, about 380 hp at the wheels 420 ft lb torque. The car has a 350 gear and 2500 torque converter and weight is 3180 lbs. This is a street rod with an occasional pass. I want enough torque and hp to make the car quick in the 1/8 but drivable. I am looking hard at sbc 427.
    Any help thanks:

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mytmouz's Avatar
    I LUV mine...
    If you think nobody cares, try missing a payment...

Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar
    It may be cheaper to take that 350 and put a low profile Blower on it.
    9:1 static compression recommended
    Blower cam 114 lobe speration

run ya 6 to 8 lbs of boost thru it and Cometic head gaskets will be fine.

The Hp is gonna go close to 500 and the TQ will be a nice flat Curve possibly passing the 600 ft lb mark.....a natually aspirated 427ci will not produce a flat Tq curve like this 350ci blower set up will.

if you price the Blower job out wisely.you could get out for under 2,000-2500 (tops)

$1100-$1200 for used b&m 144 blower ( u can find them for this price)
    $400-$500 for blower cam and roller hydraulic lifters
    $200 set of cometic head gaskets.
    $150 head studs
    Could be another $300 to $400 to have your chambers opened on your heads to lower compression if your higher than 9:1 compression..if not this is money you do not need to spend.

then if you wanted up the anti on up..you can place a E-85 carb on top and make another 10-15% hp and Tq.

just sharing what i would do instead of dumping the heavy cash in a new 427ci...to do a 427ci SBC The right way is gonna cost you 7k to 10k
    Bjuice..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    buy some nitrous...i love the stuff, just took it out on street today....yea it was pulse pounding even at a small dose

if u just looking for a once and a while fix(like me) then its the way to go for cheap.blowers and turbos are nice but a lil more expensive but power is always there

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Blower = Nitrous all the time

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE oldandtired's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kwkracing
    Blower = Nitrous all the time
    Hey, I like that statement!!
    Dave
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by russ67chevelle
    buy some nitrous...i love the stuff, just took it out on street today....yea it was pulse pounding even at a small dose

if u just looking for a once and a while fix(like me) then its the way to go for cheap.blowers and turbos are nice but a lil more expensive but power is always there
    yeah Nos is Bad Stuff No question..BUT if you have a true All Nos car ( and i have one) its a Slug off the Bottle.......you just can't have it Both Ways with Nos and get the full benefit from it.
    Hero or Zero

the blower he would have it at his command all the time ( power on tap)

the Blower would be the better route on a street car IMO......

Now in a all Race car i prefer Nos over Blower anyday...just because you can use the Nos as a chassis tunning device...a blower is total opposite.
    Bjuice..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Thanks, Guy's for the advise. I am old school all motor type and already ordered a SHP block for the stroker. I don,t think that this 350 would stand a blower as it has cheap parts, not going to be the case with the stroker.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    I would limit the stroke to 3.875", 4" requires a fair amount of grinding and a real small base circle cam. Eagle has some stroker rods that are well clearanced for the cam. 4.155 bore puts it at 421, the difference from a 350 will definitely scare you first time out. And so you know, I have a 427 in the garage, built a 447 last year and have a 461 in my car now, I have an idea what it takes to build a stroker SBC.

Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
    I would limit the stroke to 3.875", 4" requires a fair amount of grinding and a real small base circle cam. Eagle has some stroker rods that are well clearanced for the cam. 4.155 bore puts it at 421, the difference from a 350 will definitely scare you first time out. And so you know, I have a 427 in the garage, built a 447 last year and have a 461 in my car now, I have an idea what it takes to build a stroker SBC.

Bout a year or so?? LOL Congrats on your recent win.

Curtis