chassis cert.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:54 PM
banjopicker
SHOW GUEST

Default chassis cert.

Many car adds state that the vehicle is out of cert. but should certifie easly. Is it possable to purshase an older rail or altered the is so far out of spec. that if would be to costly to up grade. You would be stuck with real racing junk. How important is certifcation to you when you are looking to purshase a used drag car?
Old 12-12-2009, 04:35 AM
sg1586
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: chassis cert.

Originally Posted by banjopicker
Many car adds state that the vehicle is out of cert. but should certifie easly. Is it possable to purshase an older rail or altered the is so far out of spec. that if would be to costly to up grade. You would be stuck with real racing junk. How important is certifcation to you when you are looking to purshase a used drag car?

Very important!!! I would ask them to get a sticker and tell them if it passes I will pay for it if you are really interested in what you want
Old 12-12-2009, 05:50 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Huge deal possibly

Agreed with sg1586, you may have a chassis that needs rocker pipe, steel floor welded in place and pipe members along the floor of the firewall in 25.4 chassis as of 2007 or 06 that was previously good to 7.50 ET and now may not pass 8.5 et in some cases depending on how far out of spec the chassis is. Some of the funny car cages that were ok in 06 and earlier for door cars running 7.5 ET to 4.50ET 1/8th were in many cases incomplete relative to today's spec, requiring kidney bars and helmet bars and in some cases complete fab of funny car cage because they were not required in 06 and earlier for 7.5 et chassis certs.
This is exactly why I just re-certed my Beretta this fall, knowing that I was going to sell it this winter. Chassis rule changes apply to cars when they need to re certify, so having a fresh sticker guarantee's the new owner three years of racing depending on the level of certification, some are only good for one and two years in the top classes.
Bruce
Old 12-12-2009, 01:52 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Yes, yes, yes. If you offer to pay for the cert, they should have no problem selling the car to you. If they hesitate - Run Forrest Run!!!
Dave