Sponsor?

Old 11-27-2009, 05:48 AM
TecHunter
SHOW GUEST

Default Sponsor?

I'm asking the pros out there, how do you go about getting a sponsor?
Old 11-30-2009, 02:38 PM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

me too
Old 11-30-2009, 05:15 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

START WINNING RACES... then they will come to you...
Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 AM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by DRTRCR22
Yea right. I have a couple of box fulls of plaques and tropheys that could be enjoyed somewhere else. It'shard to get a sponsor for a bracket car. I see a lot of dirt cars with sponsors.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:16 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by CamBirdRacing
Originally Posted by DRTRCR22
Yea right. I have a couple of box fulls of plaques and tropheys that could be enjoyed somewhere else. It'shard to get a sponsor for a bracket car. I see a lot of dirt cars with sponsors.
You have to ask but they will be there if you can turn on a win bulb
Old 12-01-2009, 06:51 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Sponsorship is ALL about professionally REPRESENTING the companies' image, giving them 'BUSINESS NAME EXPOSURE', ( AFTER ALL, THAT IS ALL SPONSORSHIP IS, BUSINESS NAME EXPOSURE). You NEVER, NEVER, NEVER promise any monetary gain for you sponsor. However you CAN PROMISE 'BUSINESS NAME EXPOSURE' by assembling and following through with a conservative yet effective race and show schedule including appearances at your sponsors location as the race/show schedule permit. DO NOT promise way more than you can REALISTICALLY keep up with. ONLY promise via a mutual SIGNED contract what you can deliver and not any more just to 'sweeten the pot'. Better to be less than too much. Work in all possible scenarios including failed equipment(both race and tow), you and /or your crews health, etc. and a clause for natural disasters, etc.
Above all, keep in constant contact with ALL your sponsors no matter how small or large via an emailed or snail mailed 'race day update' news letter with good photos showing the sponsor's decals on your car. No matter WHERE you place on race day, show that you are ACTIVELY participating and giving it your all. Form up a fan club within your website to further 'expose' your sponsors' business names.
Work WITH your sponsors to 'give them their dollars worth'.
Find a local T-shirt shop that might sponsor team wearables in exchange for a spot on your car. If you aren't comfortable or just will not have the time, find a local website developer to work up your website in exchange for a spot. Etc,etc.
"Maximum utilization of available resources"
The larger the spot on your car/trailer/tow rig/motor home the more money it commands. The rear quarters(on a door car) usually command more than any place else.
Remember, there is a lot more to sponsorships than someone just forking over a handful of money to you. It is a BUSINESS PARTNERSHIP. Treat it as such. The Golden rule is prevalent !!!
Good Luck and have FUN with your sponsors !!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:54 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Grab a couple "W's", collect a few trophies and a couple of them cardboard checks and it will happen. It took us several years but finally the deals are starting to come.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

TecHunter,

Do you shoot a TecHunter bow by chance? Thought maybe you are a bow hunter...

Anyways, I agree with Double/D. Sponsorship is good buisness marketing. It is all about marketing... you to them, then them to everyone. What can you provide to the sponsors that others cannot? Think outside the box... it is far more than money & a name on the car. For starters, none of us are Jimmy Johnson.. so the question is how can a local/small racer bring more buisness to that sponsor by doing more, offering more, etc... more bang for the buck. It needs to be a tangible, direct outcome. Something like this: They sponsor you in conjunction with the track that race... you put the name on the car, & every ticket to that race has a coupon attached for a 10% discount to that sponsor's establishment. Or your you pay some kid to put coupons on EVERY cars windshield for your sponsor in different locations so many times a month, etc... it needs to be BETTER than what anyone else will do. These are just vague ideas, but you probably get the picture.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

I USE TO SPONSOR 2 DIRT TRACK CARS YEARS AGO
I HELPED BUILD THE CARS AND BOUGHT DIFFERENT PARTS /PAINT/SUPPLIED BODIES ETC.
I GOT MY BUSINESS NAME WHERE I WANTED IT ON BOTH CARS [rear 1/4 panels]

I WAS VERY FIRM ON WHAT ELSE WENT ON THE CAR AS FAR AS ALCOHOL ADDS /BAD LANGUAGE/ ETC.

I DID THIS FOR 4 SEASONS[ WETHER MY GUYS WON OR LOSS-- AS LONG AS THEY WORKED AT IT AND KEPT THE CARS UP
THEN I FOUND ONE DRINKING DURING A RACE AND THE DEAL WAS DONE AND OVER[ I AM JUST THAT WAY]
YOU HAVE TO BE FAIR TO YOUR SPONSER/HONEST IN YOUR DEALINGS/ AND SOMETIMES HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SPONSERS LIKE I WAS

IT TAKES HARD WORK AND A GOOD ATTITUDE TO GET GOOD SPONSERS[ AND AS THE OTHER GUYS SAID---YOU NEED TO WIN A FEW]
Old 12-01-2009, 05:45 PM
dpassmore
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by lively
I USE TO SPONSOR 2 DIRT TRACK CARS YEARS AGO
I HELPED BUILD THE CARS AND BOUGHT DIFFERENT PARTS /PAINT/SUPPLIED BODIES ETC.
I GOT MY BUSINESS NAME WHERE I WANTED IT ON BOTH CARS [rear 1/4 panels]

I WAS VERY FIRM ON WHAT ELSE WENT ON THE CAR AS FAR AS ALCOHOL ADDS /BAD LANGUAGE/ ETC.

I DID THIS FOR 4 SEASONS[ WETHER MY GUYS WON OR LOSS-- AS LONG AS THEY WORKED AT IT AND KEPT THE CARS UP
THEN I FOUND ONE DRINKING DURING A RACE AND THE DEAL WAS DONE AND OVER[ I AM JUST THAT WAY]
YOU HAVE TO BE FAIR TO YOUR SPONSER/HONEST IN YOUR DEALINGS/ AND SOMETIMES HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SPONSERS LIKE I WAS

IT TAKES HARD WORK AND A GOOD ATTITUDE TO GET GOOD SPONSERS[ AND AS THE OTHER GUYS SAID---YOU NEED TO WIN A FEW]

None of that was unreasonable. Actually expected. Why would a company want their name associated with those things. We don't have any major sponsors,but we made both sponsorship proposals and brochures, and when we gave them out I included an autographed photo to whoever I was asking for sponsorship from. If you go to our website and click on the sponsorship link it has an online example of what the brochure looks like.

www.PassmoreRacing.com