want more wheelie with ladder bar car

Old 11-26-2009, 04:35 PM
robertstell
APPRENTICE

Default want more wheelie with ladder bar car

My 65 Chevelle is3 200 lbs and 427 bbc with a turbo 400 w/brake, 488 gears big tire car. the ladder bars are level with the ground and I would like to get more of a wheelie out of the car. 1.50 60' times but will go lower due to low chip. should I bring the bars down in the holes on crossmember or go up...thanks alot, rob...CURRENTLY CAR IS LIFTING FRONT WHEELS ABOUT 10 INCHES OR SO
Old 11-26-2009, 04:45 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

looks like its heading that WAY ( BIG Wheelie)...if you have a little more Power i think you will accomplish what your looking for...Hit it with a 200 shot ( at launch) and make sure the The front wheels are straight... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ...

Any particular reason why you mentioned 60ft times in your Wheelie Post ?

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I'm no chassis guy but just my opinion and that's all it is.... I don't think you will gain much in the way of wheelies by messing with ANGLE on a ladder bar car.Not like you can with a 4 link cause the length of the instant center is fixed... I would concentrate more on reducing unsprung weight on the front and playing with the front suspension travel and shock settings to get it to pitch rotate more. If it is hooking good and going straight why do you want it to wheelie more?
Old 11-26-2009, 06:24 PM
robertstell
APPRENTICE

Default want more wheelie with ladder bar car

just wondering if the bottom hole for the ladder bar would help get some more wheelie in the car...it is a street car and has all the glass and steel bumpers, its heavy but working pretty well. car only has 2 passes on it since build and would like to go out sunday and get some more photos of the wheels dangling. it picks them up about 10" or so...any help would be greatly appreciated, rob...
Old 11-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: want more wheelie with ladder bar car

Originally Posted by robertstell
just wondering if the bottom hole for the ladder bar would help get some more wheelie in the car...it is a street car and has all the glass and steel bumpers, its heavy but working pretty well. car only has 2 passes on it since build and would like to go out sunday and get some more photos of the wheels dangling. it picks them up about 10" or so...any help would be greatly appreciated, rob...
As I said,I don't think it will do much for the wheelie.The instant center length on a ladder bar car is set. (length of bar) Moving it up and down changes how hard you hit the tires. Raising the bar up in the front raises the instant center and hits the tires harder.Lowering it down does just the opposite,you soften the hit.

Keep in mind if you move the bar you will also need to re adjust your pinion angle.