aluminum rods yes or no?

Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

Default aluminum rods yes or no?

building my first blower engine and confused on what i should use.aluminum or steel rods.
eng. specs;
11.8 to 1 comp
736 lift rollor cam
12-71 alcohol blower[25% od]
enderle "big&ugly" alcohol injector hat
mallory super 3
brodix heads at flow shop now being done.
1;80 plantier power glide[trans brake]
4;30 rear gears
weight of car unkonown at this time

this car will be used part time race[for fun only]and showed[car shows and short cruises] when no money to race;
already have a set of "H" beam 4130 rods w/i-19 bolts;;should i sell my rods and go to aluminum rods or will my steel ones be good for how i'm using emgine?pro's and con's please
Old 11-22-2009, 09:52 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

if your gonna show it and Putt around with a track appearance some of the time..The Steel Rods will be Fine........if you were gonna be racing it and leaning on it.. the Aluminum Rods is the way to go....The Aluminum Rods will absorb a lot of shock that would be passed on to the bearings under race conditions.

with what you have i would stay with the steel rods imo

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-22-2009, 10:04 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by bjuice
if your gonna show it and Putt around with a track appearance some of the time..The Steel Rods will be Fine........if you were gonna be racing it and leaning on it.. the Aluminum Rods is the way to go....The Aluminum Rods will absorb a lot of shock that would be passed on to the bearings under race conditions.

thanks bjuice..it will be 50% race and 50% show;;unless i get like racing it more[afriad that might happen]
Old 11-22-2009, 10:28 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hotrodharley
Originally Posted by bjuice

thanks bjuice..it will be 50% race and 50% show;;unless i get like racing it more[afriad that might happen]
well even if you do more of the racing then crusing..the Steel Rods will still be alright..its not like you are gonna beat the bearings out of it instantly...the aluminum rods just help soften the Hit on the bearings and help with a little longer time period between rebuilds with serious racers having to go back into their engines Monthly/Weekly that run a full race schedule...i do not think the same rules apply to the hobbist that play around every now and then......again this is Just my opinion...if you remember i had a blown alcohol SBC that i ran crower steel Rods..cause i was just playing as yourself.

not trying to tell you what to do...but we see so many Hot Rod enthuesist trying to follow the Pro's tit for tat...and its just not practical...

Now if your Going to Run a full race schedule some where each week and push 30lbs of boost @8500 rpm each week thru that engine...you may want to consider Aluminum Rods...

Old 11-22-2009, 10:53 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

THANKS BJUICE;;I HIGHLY RESPECT YOUR OPIONS.YOU'VE BEEN AROUND THE BLOCK A FEW TIMES AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT..I WAS THINKING THE SAME BUT JUST WANTED THAT EXTRA OPION ON THAT I'M MAKEING RIGHT MOVE ON MY PARTS.
DON
Old 11-22-2009, 11:18 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Well i appreciate that Hotord..i respect you as well My friend...and cannot wait to see that thang come to life...cause i am one of the few on here that knows how long and the work you have put into it..

Good luck and Happy Thanskgiving

Old 11-22-2009, 11:26 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I agree with Juice on this one, i had steel rods in my 355" blown alcohol sm/blk when it melted down a piston land and cracked the blk., but now have alum rods for the new build to a 383" blown.

Also i hope you meant 4340 rods with L19's rather than 4130 with L19's?

Zip.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:35 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by zipper06
I agree with Juice on this one, i had steel rods in my 355" blown alcohol sm/blk when it melted down a piston land and cracked the blk., but now have alum rods for the new build to a 383" blown.

Also i hope you meant 4340 rods with L19's rather than 4130 with L19's?

Zip.
Yes Zip;;4340 rods with the L19 bolts
Old 11-22-2009, 11:37 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

while we on the engine subject what kind of HP and TORQ do you think i'am looking at?
Old 11-22-2009, 01:33 PM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

11.8 to 1 compression with a blower on top wow dude u got bigger nuts than i do!!! ive always heard ten to one is tops.... :shock:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -