Gm Aluminum heads #3919842

Old 11-14-2009, 04:52 AM
awk
SHOW GUEST

Default Gm Aluminum heads #3919842

I have a set of rectangular port BBC heads #3919842 that came off of a 68-69 396/427 and was just wondering what they would be worth? They are currently on my Camaro but I am thinking about buying a set of pro 1 to put on. If anyone has any information i would appreciate it.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:06 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

With a little bit of work you can get really great performance out of these heads.I know i guy who runs a mildly worked set on a full interior 74 camaro that has a pump gas 496 running a flat tappet solid cam. Race weight is about 3500 lbs and he runs low to mid 6 seconds in the 1/8. You might be better off spending a little $ on what heads you already got than alot of$ buying new heads. Word of advice the rocker bosses tend to crack under high spring pressures/rpms. A little cash will get them welded up around the bosses for strength and they will hold up fine after that. Seen it done alot with 100% success. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2009, 05:26 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by olds48
Word of advice the rocker bosses tend to crack under high spring pressures/rpms. A little cash will get them welded up around the bosses for strength and they will hold up fine after that. Seen it done alot with 100% success. Good luck!
x2 and a good stud girdle. The chemical makeup of the factory aluminum is not up to par with the new stuff.
Dave
Old 11-14-2009, 06:02 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

:shock: OOOH YEah!!! GOTTA HAVE A STUD GIRDLE unless you wanna go shaft. Shaft setup is really not all that much more expensive by the time you account for the price of girdles,poly locks,tall valve covers,QUALITY rocker arms.... Check it out,you might be surprised how affordable a shaft system really is. And reliability is second to none. Of course,i am running a girdle,but only because it's what came on the heads. Zero problems with the girdle whatsoever