NEW TO DRAGSTERS

Old 11-13-2009, 12:16 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default NEW TO DRAGSTERS

Ok..i went from a low 10 sec pickup truck with a SBC to a Dragster with a 582- running in the Mid 7's. 1 st pass was 10.00 --i snuck in the car before i bought it .. 2nd pass was 7.82 then 7.70.. but man was that crazy!!
I got my licence --i have 8 passes in the car - 2 at full blast. I get the "holy S_it feeling still.
How long did it take u guy to get comfortable in the dragster? My door car i could eat a sandwhich going down the track!..lol
Maybe i should slow the dragster down a little?? How did you make the transition from slower car to a dragster??

Thanks
Keith
Old 11-13-2009, 12:43 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Smart Ass answer

I highly recommend buying my Beretta body that I have for sale here on RJ as a transition vehicle. Just install your engine from your new dragster for one season to get the hang of the new excitement. I raced it this year at 7.51 ET quarter mile times and can not eat a sandwich while mowing down the track yet. This may give you the confidence to run the real long wheel base easy going dragster and then your wife can use the Beretta the next season?
Bruce
Old 11-13-2009, 12:48 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

I'm just Kidden about needing my car :lol: :lol: The gear change to two sets lower ratio will bone it out enough to help you in the short shut down area you mentioned on the other thread.
Bruce
Old 11-13-2009, 06:05 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

I went from a 14 sec street car to the altered that runs 6.40 in the 1/8. The first couple of passes my brother asked me "how did the guages look?". I replied "Guages? I'm to busy hanging"

I couldn't believe how fast the ground goes by. You can't see that in a door car.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:24 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

It gets easier. The biggest transition is getting used to the actual tire hit. I always explain it to people that it is like sitting at a red light in a compact car and being hit in the back by a Mack truck. Once you get comfortable in the car, the 7.70 won't give you that feeling. It will be the idea that you need more ET. You will find the more relaxed you get you won't feel the hit, you won't notice the speed and you will find yourself eating the sandwich in the car again.....just not being able to finish it before the ET shack.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:52 PM
ImBack
MASTER BUILDER

I went from a 640 door car to a 540 dragster,it was a bit of a change but mines slow since it has my car engine in it LOL
Old 11-29-2009, 05:08 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

it'll come .. I'll tell you what I tell everyone that is new to dragster .. dont drive it like a door car and go as fast as it feels comfortable going... its easy to slow them down
Old 11-30-2009, 03:34 PM
ImBack
MASTER BUILDER

Thats true!!!! My first time down the track i went to edgewater to get my license and they run 1/8th so i thought no big deal.I run there all the time and figured 3 passes,well the tech guy said 3 half passes and 3 full passes.so i said you mean 3 330' passes and 3 1/8th passes?

No i mean 3 1/8th mile and 3 1/4,i was a nervous wreck but ran all 6 within 40 minutes never getting out of the car,then took 2 sp practice passes asnd raced sp getting beat 4th round. LOL