Tell me what to do

Old 11-11-2009, 02:22 AM
hotrod1451
SHOW GUEST

Default Tell me what to do

I bought a complete engine from a guy back in jan 09.
454 .030 over,nothing wild or crazy a nice simple combination.
Didnt get the car done till june and went to the track for the first time.
made 3 runs that day.
next time I went I made 2 runs.
didnt go again till october 09 and only made 1 run.
I went again on sat nov 7th,first run it ran ok, next run the engine exploded.
thats on the 8th run of a engine that the ad says was fresh with only 3 runs on it.
ad is off the system but I saved it in my computer.
Now that its apart I see where I was lied too.
ad claimed it was a eagle rotating assembly but the rods were stock GM.
main thing and what made it blow up was whoever put it together never checked the crank throw to piston clearence as almost all of the throws were hitting the pistons.
even on the 6 surviving pistons 4 of the 6 were being hit.
must have been hitting #8 so bad right under the wrist pin that the pin ripped out of the piston and the rest ,well you can figure that out.
everything in the bottom end is now junk,even the block.
looks like with money I can save the heads.
I wrote the guy and no answer.
I have his name,his name on here and a phone number and a city and a state.
tell me what to do.
thank you
Old 11-11-2009, 02:58 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I know that you may not like my response, but, why did you not drop the pan and look at everything before you bought the motor? With you making runs on the motor it opens some doors for him. How is he to know that you did not over rev the motor or run it with poor oil pressure? I am not saying you did and believe me, I think 100% agree you have the right to be upset. All you can do at this point is hope he is a stand up guy and might help you with replacement parts. Good luck to you.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:40 AM
hotrod1451
SHOW GUEST

your right I should have had him pull the pan.
problem was we met in a parking lot both driving half way,which now I know was a mistake.
I wrote him the details this morning and now will see if I get a reply.
He has 2 ads running right now on rj.
I did pull the pan befour I even put it in the car.
I had to change the oil pan and thats when I learned that it was a 2 bolt main not a 4 bolt main and that the rods were stock gm.
I never got a answer from him on that.
He didnt claim it to be a 2 or a 4 bolt main block,
when I mentioned it he just didnt answer me.
we will see if hes any kind of a stand up guy.
I read on another site that I can file a claim with the National White Collar Crime Center
http://www.ic3.govs
The pictures clearly show where the crank was hitting most of the pistons.
and the remaining rods prove that I was lied to about the parts.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:35 AM
nitrousii
SHOW GUEST

Post his name and ad numbers.I think you already know that he's not a stand up guy.Most people who are stand up never end up in this forum. Did he build it,buy it or come out of a car he bought? If he has a way out I'm sure he'll find it.Good luck but either way you could save someone the screwing you got by posting the info.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:44 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by hotrod1451
your right I should have had him pull the pan.
problem was we met in a parking lot both driving half way,which now I know was a mistake.
I wrote him the details this morning and now will see if I get a reply.
He has 2 ads running right now on rj.
I did pull the pan befour I even put it in the car.
I had to change the oil pan and thats when I learned that it was a 2 bolt main not a 4 bolt main and that the rods were stock gm.
I never got a answer from him on that.
He didnt claim it to be a 2 or a 4 bolt main block,
when I mentioned it he just didnt answer me.
we will see if hes any kind of a stand up guy.
I read on another site that I can file a claim with the National White Collar Crime Center
http://www.ic3.govs
The pictures clearly show where the crank was hitting most of the pistons.
and the remaining rods prove that I was lied to about the parts.
Wait a minute... You're saying you pulled the pan and got a chance to see inside the engine before you put it in your race car??? Did you not look inside just out of curiousity to confirm what parts you had in there before you raced it??? Did the rods look stock?... I have never seen stock rods look similar to aftermarket rods, if you have ever seen the difference betwen the two. Is it for a fact an Eagle crank? Sounds like somebody put 5.7" rods on a crank designed for 6" only rods, or similarly the wrong compression height pistons. If the engine had been turned over any at all you should have been able to see the rub marks on the pistons and crank throws. Then you took it out and raced it... there is never any warrantees or guarantees when you stress an engine during racing... I know by 30 years racing experience and dozens of blown up full race engines. Did he advertize this as a competition race engine with known limitations? Did he build it himself, or did he get fed a line of bull himslef. Good luck wasting your time with NWCCC... as a retired 21 year criminal fraud investigator I can tell you that NWCCC will not even listen to your complaint. Your best bet is to file a small claims suit in magistrate court if you think you can prove he deliberately lied or mislead you into believing you were buying a race engine capable of hammering down the race track. And, now what you put on this forum is public record, so he can use your statments against you in court if you tried to recant that. I caution you... as soon as the judge hears you took it racing without tearing it completely down and confirming the parts you thought you were buying were correct, and could/should handle x amount of abuse, he will throw it out of court and you will lose out on the filing fees and court costs too. It goes back to bullshit 101... and buyer beware... believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see. You will have to prove he built it himself with intentions on screwing you, or prove he KNEW the engine did not have the worthy parts in it he thought/said they had. If he never opened it up himself, and was just talking smack... it is all just hearsay. Sound like a hard lesson learned, one that many of us have made all too many times...