Block Filler

Old 10-29-2009, 01:28 PM
houtxgent
SHOW GUEST

Default Block Filler

In the process of starting a rebuild on a 408sbc. I have a good bottom end,675 lift cam and a set of afr220's. I want to fill the block and was wondering what experience/preference y'all have on block filler...Hard Blok or the Moroso block filler.
Thx
Old 10-29-2009, 05:27 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Not tring to hijack your thread,but another ? is how much hotter will the mainline run with the block filler?

anybody know or have experience with this all so.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:50 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Dont do it! Hot oil !
Old 10-30-2009, 02:16 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

I ran production 400 blocks for years with Hardblock to the bottom of the water pump holes and never had any heat related bearing problems. Drove to the lanes, made the pass and drove back and rarely ran over 190. Just make sure to get it as cold as possible between rounds and spray the pan to help keep the oil cool.......
Old 11-07-2009, 04:17 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

It won't run hot if you have a cooling system that works. Run synthetic oil if your worried about hot oil. My preferance is ROK Block block filler. Then Moroso. The Rok block is more like an epoxy, and mixes more soupy. This allows it to flow very well into all the voids all on its own, no help needed, like with the concrete sometimes needs. The other beauty of the Rok block, is it sets in about half hour, so, you can do the otherside right away, no waiting over night, so, in the shop setting, its a time saver.

Just follow the direction, yes, its supposed to be pretty soupy. If you mix it thicker, more like regular block filler consistncy, it will set before you get it all in, then you could have issues. Kinda like if you mix to much activator into bondo, it hardens really quick. It gets hot like that too.

Frank
Old 11-07-2009, 06:10 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Pwmax
If you mix it thicker, more like regular block filler consistncy, it will set before you get it all in, then you could have issues. Kinda like if you mix to much activator into bondo, it hardens really quick. It gets hot like that too.

Frank
Yes, I have done that too!
ops:
Dave
Old 11-08-2009, 06:08 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

I did too, once, lol. Luckily, I was putting the very last bit into the block, and it hardened in the funnel, I was like, "Whats going on here"? I lucked out. But learned something. I experimented with some once too, mixed a small amount up in a solo plastic cup, let it harden. Mixed up a little more, poured it over the already set stuff, it bonded like it was one. I like the stuff

frank