4 link 68 camaro

Old 10-27-2009, 05:28 PM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default 4 link 68 camaro

must be 1000 camaros exact like mine just looking for a very very very close starting point.. big block, 2700 pounds empty.looking for a close intersect point.tubbed narrowed , 9 inch rear,when reading books they go on and on, I know there is a fine line of perfect, but I cant help but think there has to be an extremely close starting point of intersect. With 4 link, you should be able to set car on ground, pull some strings and see if they cross under the seat or behind the front fender or where should they be... any help would be appreciated..
Old 10-28-2009, 05:55 AM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

It really depends on how much horsepower your big block has, along with how high the crankshaft centerline is located, along with ride height of the car to where the starting point is. As with my car (a tube chassis Monte with 108" wheelbase and crankshaft centerline at 12" with about 800-850hp), a rough rule of thumb is to start with the bottom bar almost level but down a little in the front and then have the intersect point at about 45-50" out.

I take all of the measurements and plot it on the floor to calculate which hole in the top front will give me this IC. I make sure that the rear end is square in the car and then the top left bar is then adjusted to give the correct pinion angle (about 1-2 degrees) and then the top right bar is adjusted to give your preload. It is best to start at 0 preload and then if the car goes to the left you will need to lengthen the top right bar and if it moves to the right then that bar will need to be shortened just a few flats at a time.

JMHO

Bill
Old 10-28-2009, 04:51 PM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default 68 camaro 4 link

thank you for the reply, my camaro has 724 hp. at the fly wheel, bottom bar is like you say, top bar pointed down , with an intersect point about 24 inches in front of center line of rear end,car hooks good as long as I melt the tires in the burn out box, also cant help but notice I have to burn longer than others with the same tires before they start to smoke, leterly have to abuse the thing. I have a pinion angle of 2 degrees, and the car goes straight as an arrow , not running the 60 foot of others with less power and more weight. 1.42 - 60 foot , trans brake 4500 rpm, 2 speed, 486 gears..32 x 15 x15. tires -- hoosier .. just a little back ground to see if you agree the 60 foot is slow..
Old 10-28-2009, 05:58 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Your statement says 24" in front of the rear end centerline, but do you mean 42" because you would almost have to be in the same holes with 21" 4-link bars? If it is indeed about 42" then that is about right for the HP.

What is your ET and your MPH and that will help decide if the 60ft is slow?

It sounds like you might have some issues with the front suspension not letting it work and that is causing you to have to beat on the rear tires. What front springs do you have? On my car the 60fts were slow until I put some softer front springs on it (went from 400lb/in to 300lb/in on my front struts). I used to have a Nova with ladder bars with the engine moved back and stock front suspension, that I couldn't get it to hook or pull the front wheels until I changed the front springs over to the Moroso trick front springs.

Bill Mitchell
Old 10-29-2009, 05:56 PM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default 68 camaro 4 link

my intersect point is very cloce to 24 inches, my et in the eigth is 6.18 and the quater is 9.80 at 138 mph. Thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 07:40 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

With your MPH, it looks like your 60ft times should be in the mid to low 1.3's, so yes it is a little slow. You should probably move the IC out to at least 42", because right now you are even shorter than what 32" ladder bars would give you. With your IC being so short, you are not getting very much weight transfer which is really hurting you.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:17 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

could you pull one of the slicks off? and post a pic of the bracketry.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:29 AM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default 4 link

I appreciate the feed back and feel good about the things im hearing. I am putting the tranny back in this weekend, then I will put jacks under at ride height, and pull a slick and give a accurate ic and try to attach a photo, be back to you in a couple days, thanks
Old 10-30-2009, 05:37 AM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: 4 link

Originally Posted by camarotale
I appreciate the feed back and feel good about the things im hearing. I am putting the tranny back in this weekend, then I will put jacks under at ride height, and pull a slick and give a accurate ic and try to attach a photo, be back to you in a couple days, thanks
Along with the picture, if you give us some measurements we can come close to calculating your IC, too.

With the car on the ground, measure from the ground (if you do this up on jack stands be sure that the car is level and to give/or subtract the distance from the ground up to the bottom of the slick) up to the center of the bottom bolt of the 4-link bar at the rear end housing, then from the ground up to the center of the rear end housing, and finally from the ground up to the center of the bolt for the top 4-link bar at the rear end housing. If you can get a measurement of how far forward from the centerline of the rear end housing that the top hole is that would be good.

Next measure at the front brackets, and give the measurement from the ground up to the center of the bolt for the bottom 4-link bar and then from the ground up to the center of the bolt of the top 4-link bars. We then will need the length of the top and bottom 4-link bars from the center of the bolt to the center of the bolt.

The final measurement would be the distance from the center of one hole to the center of the next hole in your front 4-link brackets.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 11-01-2009, 08:08 AM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default 4 link

heres some measurments, 15.125 center of axle to floor,10.625 back bottom bolt to floor--back top bar bolt center to floor is 18.5 -- front bottom bolt to floor is9.875 --top front is 15.375,--- top bolt to axel center is 1.125 -- top bar is 19.625 - bottom bar is 20.375 also balanced the car with me in it and it balances at 63 inches from center of rear axel. thanks Eric

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -