Here's how I built Miss DD Doba.....

Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Default Here's how I built Miss DD Doba.....

Album 1
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AYtWLNk0atmLwY

Album 2
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AYtWLNk0atmLyQ

Album 3
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AYtWLNk0atmL0I
Old 10-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Double/D:

A lot of work my friend. You did a nice job. She is real purrty- I just now realized she is a Cordoba... right??? maybe an 80 or 81?? Anyways, I would hate to see you put er in the wall... but she looks like she will keep you safe nonetheless. Scooter
Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

"D Doba"... ya know, I am a little slow sometimes... bear with me. LOL!!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

WOW! I got tired just looking at all the time put in the rear spoiler!

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 10-20-2009, 03:49 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

She's a 1976 ! and still a virgin

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2986760
Old 10-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

OF COARSE IT IS A "76".... a little slow, I got it now.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:20 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

nice to see a plan come together..you have a lot of time in that car ..glad you got it documented.

you can see how much thought went into this car...Please share with us your thoughts that took you down this path..its not everyday you see this breed of car.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-20-2009, 07:46 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks ya'all I have had a ton of FUN building it to !

Goal; 200 plus in a box that weighs 2 tons.

I got the ORR bug in '98-'99 and was given the Doba for other work done. It came from the factory with the handling package of the time that was available in the '76 Cordoba's. Naturally not a single solitary piece is left on the car as it is now !
Starting from the front;
I started building a conventional air dam using the stock bumper kicked forward 2 inches farther than stock. I was going to build airflow channels into the headlight openings as well as the turn sig openings. After much envisioning airflow at, through, and around the front end with that design, I scrapped it in favor of the full frontal air dam.
Reasoning;
After studying many Bonneville salt cars, I wanted the forced air and engine oil cooling openings in 'clean' airflow. Hence the openings are farther forward than the dam it's self. Building in an air splitter and lower flexible/wear skirt, I got the airflow characteristics I was seeking.
The side skirts prevent airflow from leaking OUT from under the car as well as unwanted airflow from entering UNDER the car, creating a low pressure area (vacume = downforce). Then using the 3" exhaust tubing to help control and direct the under car airflow into the rear diffuser and then out and AWAY from the rear of the body, hence eliminating any lift effect on the rear of the car.
The total of all these also helps airflow THROUGH the radiator and engine compartment. At high speed in a stock vehicle, you get a virtual 'air flow dam' in the engine room as high speed and dense air coming in under the front bumper, prevents engine room air flow from smoothly joining the under car airflow. Hence, high coolant temps.
(That's why many cars and pickups started using those flexible black dams under the front bumper. If you have a tow rig that's getting a tad warm, look into installing a small dam under the bumper.)
The 'roof rails' direct the laminar air flow over the roof and keep it from spilling off the sides, and also channels it onto the rear wing where just a slit uptilt of the spoiler is all that is needed.
Roll cage structure is built to withstand very violent barrel rolls and multiple impacts from different points as well as 'bridging' the entire body(unibody) for stiffness. I leaned from the Cup guys that "You build a cage to work only once".
Engine oil cooler, differential oil cooler with pump and cooling fans, forced air induction, onboard multi-camera video/audio system, 2 seats for driver/navigator, 24 gallon Fuel Safe fuel bladder system, YZ rated tires (186mph).
Old 10-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I didn't look at the album this time...but way back when you first joined I looked at everything on your site...videos all of it. Most definitely a lot of thought and work went into those cars. If I recall you have another one on there that has a bunch of custom body work too...I think you had a video of it from inside the car at a road course run....Pretty cool cause I never knew of those types of events.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

FYI
I've added some pics in album #3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -