This has got me stumped...

Old 10-08-2009, 06:13 AM
bluegrassjh
SENIOR BUILDER

Default This has got me stumped...

I'm tryin to get a different set of rims for my fox body Mustang. It is a 89 GT with a 5 lug conversion and Summit Prostars. Here's my question; Is there a way I can tell which 5 lug conversion my car has? I'm trying to find out if they used Lincoln/ Ranger or s-95(whatever the heck that is). The guy that has the rims says they will NOT fit on his Stang with the Lincoln swap. From what I've read it's due to the rotors being to large. This is my first Mustang so ANY input would help.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/~m...tang/5lug.html
Old 10-08-2009, 08:19 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

IMO I would just measure the distance from the center of one stud to the center of the stud right next to that one and get rims with that stud spacing. That is only my Opinion.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 AM
bluegrassjh
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by DirkaDirka
IMO I would just measure the distance from the center of one stud to the center of the stud right next to that one and get rims with that stud spacing. That is only my Opinion.
DD...I found that link on Corral as well. But it doesn't give me enough information to tell which ones are on the car. Like...measure this___...and if it's this width or length ____ they are Lincoln/Ranger.

Dirka-The stud's match up on my rotors/axles with the wheels. BUT, the guy I'm looking to trade with has the Lincoln conversion on his foxbody and the front wheels won't mount up. Thats why he's getting rid of them. I'm tryin to find out which ones I have before I trade so I'll know if they're gonna fit or not.

I don't know enough about the suspensions on Mustangs to tell the 3 different conversioins apart.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bluegrassjh
DD...I found that link on Corral as well. But it doesn't give me enough information to tell which ones are on the car. Like...measure this___...and if it's this width or length ____ they are Lincoln/Ranger.

Dirka-The stud's match up on my rotors/axles with the wheels. BUT, the guy I'm looking to trade with has the Lincoln conversion on his foxbody and the front wheels won't mount up. Thats why he's getting rid of them. I'm tryin to find out which ones I have before I trade so I'll know if they're gonna fit or not.

I don't know enough about the suspensions on Mustangs to tell the 3 different conversioins apart.
Are they not lining up with the studs?? If not then measure the gap on your studs and see what the studs are on those wheels. That will tell you if they will line up and bolt on. If they are different then no they wont bolt on. On backspacing measure what backspacing is on your and see how close the tires are from your suspension to see if the backspacing will work if they are diff backspacing.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:00 PM
bluegrassjh
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by bluegrassjh

Are they not lining up with the studs?? If not then measure the gap on your studs and see what the studs are on those wheels. That will tell you if they will line up and bolt on. If they are different then no they wont bolt on. On backspacing measure what backspacing is on your and see how close the tires are from your suspension to see if the backspacing will work if they are diff backspacing.
The studs will line up. I don't have the rims yet. I'm tryin to make sure they'll fit before I go trade for em. The only thing that has me questioning the fit is hearing that some factory Mustang wheels aren't compatible with certain conversions (converted from 4 to 5 lug). Because the dustcover for the front wheel bearings is to long or wide to fit on the factory style rim. After market rims will fit them, but certain factory rims won't. I've heard I won't be able to use the center caps on one style of conversion, or I would have to use spacers. So I'm tryin to finds a way of figuring out which conversion I have. Not only will it help in this situation but when I go to replacing brakes too.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:15 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Sorry I re-read your previous post and seen that you said the studs line up with the wheels. Now are they the same rim size as the ones that are on yours?? If it were me I would prolly just take off the dust cap for the wheel bearings and take it and see if it will fit thru the center of the rims you wants to trade for if that is the only problem you are worried about. But that is just me.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:32 PM
bluegrassjh
SENIOR BUILDER

Sorry I re-read your previous post and seen that you said the studs line up with the wheels. Now are they the same rim size as the ones that are on yours?? If it were me I would prolly just take off the dust cap for the wheel bearings and take it and see if it will fit thru the center of the rims you wants to trade for if that is the only problem you are worried about. But that is just me.
Hmmmm...hadn't thought of that. I'm trying to reach the previous owner to ask him as well. I found a 1/4 inch spacer on the fronts. This may be why they are on there. If thats the case then I probably have the Lincoln setup. I'm going to try and get a response from the previous owner before I trade.