Muncie Question

Old 09-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Default Muncie Question

fellas-

Need some ideas.

Built an M21 "010" case Muncie for a guy, 10 spline coarse in front and 27 spline at the tail. Complete kit, and reverse gear and idler. bench tested and worked through all four gears- box was smooth and the slides would slide into gear by hand and stay.

Delivered it and ran through the gears on the bench and shifted smooth. Just a sweet box.

Did this for a friend.

Tonite he calls me and says he put it in and it wont go into any gear. WTF? I asked him if he had the shift linkage in the Comp plus adjusted right- claims he set it up on the bench and it shifted fine with the Comp plus- he pulled the c clips and put it in and now it wont go.

Claims he can kinda get first with the clutch adjusted all the way in.

I have been building boxes on the side for a while and this is the first one to come back- I told him to check the linkage again and hes thinking its inside the box.

It has new gaskets, front and rear bearings, thrust washers, needle bearings, blocking rings and everything was cleaned by hand- it was a spotless tight build.

Any ideas from a Muncie Guru? I dont want to pull it totally apart aagain for him and have him have the same problem- hurts business.

BTW I did it for cost of parts.

Thanks Scorp
Old 09-29-2009, 04:41 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Hey Scorp, if it worked fine for you on the bench and he set it up on the bench and worked fine but in the car it doesn't. Is it possible he has a clearance issue with the shifter or linkage? Just a thought.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

If it shifts fine on the bench, but does not in the car with the engine running, it says the clutch is not fully disengaged or there is something keeping that input shaft turning.
Does it go through the gears ok with the engine OFF and the rear tires off the ground ?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Scorp-

I am not a Muncie guru. However, assuming that it was a standard good build & it tested fine, I am left to question other areas. You had said that he could kinda get 1st w/ the clutch adjusted all the way in. I keep wondering about the linkage, clutch fork/throwout bearing, etc...

What I can say for sure is that I have had linkage problems cause the effect you describe before on a new shifter/linkage set up. is this a new set up for him? Is he using prior clutch/PPlate/TOB?

I know that it sounds elementary, but I think I would question the clutch operation more than the trans... especially when it bench tested flawless & tries to get 1st w/ adjustment.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

thanks Guys-

I just talked to him again and he says he rowed the gears on the bench fine- I am heading out to his shop tomorrow and we are pulling the box and I am going to set up the shifter for him.

Dude knows his stuff so all I can think is that its a clutch issue or somehow that linkage is wrong.

Don't know but I may be rebuilding the SOB for him this weekend.

BTW- if anyone is at the carlisle Pa car show this weekend drop a line- I'll be there with a couple cheap cigars, some sheaper beer and the cheapest lady that money can buy (ok my wife says no to the last one)

Scorp
Old 09-29-2009, 05:29 PM
fbodyjunkie
JOURNEYMAN

I had almost the same thing to happen to me with a M-22. Had a brand new shifter though. Felt good on the bench ,but I couldn't get in gear with the car running. Felt as if it was going in, but would jump back out . The shifter stops was in to far (bolts on the front and rear of the shifter), I done some adjusting and presto works like a champ now. Just something to look at before you pull it out. :wink:
Old 09-30-2009, 01:43 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Muncie

Does it go into he gears with the engine off? Sounds like a clutch issue or a shifter maladjustment.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:40 AM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Muncie

Originally Posted by fla1976
Does it go into he gears with the engine off? Sounds like a clutch issue or a shifter maladjustment.
Fla- bench tested fine; smoothest I ever built. Could row through 1-4 on the bench. Guy claims its not his clutch or shifter- but if it goes into gear smoothly, by hand and then using a wrench to flip the tabs- then that says something is mis-aligned or worn out at the linkage- plus its a comp plus in a 70 chevelle so there could be clearance issues.

The box that came out was a later 71-74 Pontiach version (2+2 tailshaft) with a 10 spline input and 32 spline out-put- an incorrect build as the input should be fine spline as well.

Supposedly the cluttch is set for the 10 spline and they are using a smaller driveshaft and fine spline yoke on the output spline.

I think linkage, clearance or clutch and TB- of course its always the builder and never the installer lol.

Scorp
Old 09-30-2009, 04:18 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: Muncie

Originally Posted by fla1976
I agree on the clutch adjustment!!!

TS1955
Old 09-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Went to his shop today and disconnected the shift rods while it was on the lift. That trans shifts smooth as butter with a wrench on the tabs.

So started looking and asked if he had loosened the stops up when he set the rods. Answer 'it doesnt have stops" Of course it has stops- I pointed them out and loosened them, had him sit in and we ran through the shift pattern together, starting at reverse set up the rods. Tightened the stops, jacked the diff and rowed the gears- Got all four though two was a bit balky.

Suggested he put it back up in the air and check the stop for two- back it out slightly.

Think its ok- Thanks for confirming what I thought- shifter or clutch. if it rows well on the bench its probably not the box.

Scorp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -