turbo 400 built by harry tillman of aston pa.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:34 PM
mwcoc
SHOW GUEST

Default turbo 400 built by harry tillman of aston pa.

I BOUGHT THIS TRANSMISION FROM HARRY TILLMANS IN ASTON PA, WENT AROUND THE BLOCK 1 TIME WITH THIS TRANSMISION , WHEN I TOOK IT TO THE TRACK , I SHIFTED FROM FIRST TO SECOND IN THE BURNOUT THE TRANSMISION EXPLODED, THIS WAS STREET CAR THAT THIS TRANS WAS IN , WHEN IN ALL REALITY THIS WAS TRANS WAS BUILT FOR A HIGH HORSEPOWER CAR , WHICH COST $1375.00 , REASON FOR EXPLOSION: WE TOOK THE TRANS TO 2 OTHER TRANSMISSION SHOPS TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED AND THEY TOLD US THAT THE HIGH GEAR DRUM HAD A CRACK IN IT IN WHICH THE BUILDER DID NOT SEE. THIS TRANS BENT THE DRIVESHAFT IN A U SHAPE , TOOK THE FLOOR OUT , AND TOOK A CORNER OF THE ENGINE BLOCK OFF. WHEN WE WENT HARRY HE WOULDNT DO NOTHING FOR ME. THANKS HARRY TILLMAN SPEED SHOP OF ASTON PA. [/code][/url]
Old 09-25-2009, 03:33 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: turbo 400 built by harry tillman of aston pa.

Originally Posted by mwcoc
I BOUGHT THIS TRANSMISION FROM HARRY TILLMANS IN ASTON PA, WENT AROUND THE BLOCK 1 TIME WITH THIS TRANSMISION , WHEN I TOOK IT TO THE TRACK , I SHIFTED FROM FIRST TO SECOND IN THE BURNOUT THE TRANSMISION EXPLODED, THIS WAS STREET CAR THAT THIS TRANS WAS IN , WHEN IN ALL REALITY THIS WAS TRANS WAS BUILT FOR A HIGH HORSEPOWER CAR , WHICH COST $1375.00 , REASON FOR EXPLOSION: WE TOOK THE TRANS TO 2 OTHER TRANSMISSION SHOPS TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED AND THEY TOLD US THAT THE HIGH GEAR DRUM HAD A CRACK IN IT IN WHICH THE BUILDER DID NOT SEE. THIS TRANS BENT THE DRIVESHAFT IN A U SHAPE , TOOK THE FLOOR OUT , AND TOOK A CORNER OF THE ENGINE BLOCK OFF. WHEN WE WENT HARRY HE WOULDNT DO NOTHING FOR ME. THANKS HARRY TILLMAN SPEED SHOP OF ASTON PA. [/code][/url]
Well, if you knew anything about transmissions, you'd know to NEVER do a burnout in 1st gear with a 3-speed transmission.

When the 1-2 shift occurs in a non-loaded condition, such as a burnout, the low roller sprag can over speed and fail, causing a catastrophic failure like the one you encountered.

The same failure can happen if there is a driveshaft or rear end failure at any point when power is being applied.

The same failure can occur when you shift into neutral at the top end of the track.

If the drum failed, how would they know it was cracked prior? How do you know the low roller sprag didn't fail when you did an improper burnout?
Old 09-25-2009, 03:39 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

If you went around the block or ran it on jack stands with everything working, then it is very easy for this guy to stop and say that it was improper use that created this problem. Hard to say the guy scammed you. I think you just learned an expensive lesson.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:59 PM
gungho
EXPERT BUILDER

Yup,.......... Shift = Kapowie!,,I you are shifting in a burnout,unfortunately,weather it was his fault or yours,you were indeed at fault.... just my .02 ,shared from experience....
Old 09-25-2009, 05:17 PM
shybx1969
MASTER BUILDER

1375.00 Gee most racing powerglides w/needle bearings cost 35 to 3800.00 bucks... sounds cheap for a turb400!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 05:42 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by shybx1969
1375.00 Gee most racing powerglides w/needle bearings cost 35 to 3800.00 bucks... sounds cheap for a turb400!!!
T-400s are cheap to hop up... I've only got about 1500 in mine, and it's holding 1600+ HP at 3400 Lbs. They are a much more stout trans than a PG, which is why they are so darn heavy.

I think what we have here is probably (as stated before) an expensive learning lesson about how not to do a burnout.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:09 AM
fbodyjunkie
JOURNEYMAN

I know this is the Feedback & Scammer section, but I want to say thanks to onebadGMC for the info. I have never had a high HP car before now and never knew not to use first gear for a burnout. I have always used it in lesser HP cars. Thanks again for the info you probably saved me some headache and money.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:17 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by fbodyjunkie
I know this is the scammer section, but I want to say thanks to onebadGMC for the info. I have never had a high HP car before now and never knew not to use first gear for a burnout. I have always used it in lesser HP cars. Thanks again for the info you probably saved me some headache and money.
"Scammer and Feedback" Section.

for some reason the word scammer always overshadows the Feedback Part..... :wink:

originally it was posted in the general comments section and i moved it to it's proper place
Old 09-26-2009, 03:05 PM
fbodyjunkie
JOURNEYMAN

My bad Bjuice, I was just making it the shorter of the 2. Sorry about that. I fixed my boo-boo.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:47 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by fbodyjunkie
My bad Bjuice, I was just making it the shorter of the 2. Sorry about that. I fixed my boo-boo.
No worries Thanks

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -