building a glide whats all modified?

Old 09-17-2009, 12:15 PM
sprayed347
SHOW GUEST

Default building a glide whats all modified?

I have decided to build a glide for my 3200lb fox body.nitrous application,approx 700 hp on the bottle.I have a good usable glide core that was a working everyday trans.what do I need to do to it so it will live.This will be my first GM trans build,Iam a chrysler tech so iam no stranger to trans rebuilds lol.I figure if I can build a 5 speed auto I should be able to do a 2 speed... whats the differnce in a pro tree brake and a regular brake in these trans? release speed? It is a 1.76 trans also.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

You need a good valve body, hardened input shaft, high gear hub and a rebuilt and you will be set. If i remember right you can machine down the high gear drum piston and get 6 clutched in there no problem!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:15 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

You can identify the difference between a 1.82 and a 1.76 by the length of the input shaft Example: the 1.82 with have a 12 5/8" shaft and the 1.76 will have a 12 7/8" input shaft. You can buy a complete build kit from PTC converters. The differece between a pro-brake and regular brake is the pro-brake will leave on a 4 ths. tree, where as the regular brake has a slower release.
Hope this helps.

Zip.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:53 AM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Default Pro tree brake

There are other differences. On the pro-brake, you must always activate the transbrake button to activate reverse and there is usually an extra hole drilled in the case in the reverse piston area for the fluid to exit quicker.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:46 AM
sommersracing
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Hello If your using the stock case I would cut the bell and use a J.W Bell. The 1.76 will work, might want to upgrade to 1.80 if its in the budget. The pump is one area that needs some work, you can modify your pump our buy one that is done. Install 6 to 8 High gear clutches, You can machine the piston down for clearance. Kevlar band, Dual ring servo, Steel clutch hub, 4340 input shaft , Trans brake, seal kit and Deep aluminum pan. If you want I can put a kit price together for you. If you are going to mod your own pump I can help you through that and any other machine work questions. Matt
Old 09-22-2009, 01:24 PM
APPRENTICE

Default glide

everything they said is right on. A pro brake isn,t needed unless you run on .400 tree for brackets a standard brake is better for consistancy buy the book How to build a powerglide it is good and you can do it easly. you don't need 8 clutches in the high drum there special cluches an steels cost to much for a 700 hp car. your only problem is the car weight. A stock 176 gear set is fine in a lite car. If you every take off an chatter the tires I'll almost guarantee the next pass the gear set will break
Old 10-05-2009, 01:17 PM
sprayed347
SHOW GUEST

who makes a good valve body with a regular brake?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:54 AM
sommersracing
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

We use TSI and BTE and never had a problem. I like the solenoid better from TSI. Matt