Thread: KB pistons mopar 383 ci

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

KB pistons mopar 383 ci

Has any one here ever used the KB flat tops for a mopar 383 ,i will be shifting at 7,200,any help would be nice.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    not mopar but a buddy ran them in a sbc leaked some coolant into his cylinder and bye bye piston
    pray for our soldiers our freedom and rain

I would only trust thire forged parts, not the hypertetic

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mopar1968's Avatar
    I have ran them, Good piston's watch RPM's though, crack skirts :!: :!: Don't know how a piston could put coolant in the cylinder :? :? But i guess anything can happen :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
    Head's up the true drag race!!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I think what he meant was that he blew a head gasket and it took out the piston in short order.

Which, if it hydro locked, I think I'd rather have it eat a piston than bend a rod. But that's just me.
    -WJ Birmingham

OneBadGMC.com

If you want to spen a little money I can build you a nice set of JE custom parts

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mopar1968's Avatar
    YEAH I KNOW JUST PLAYING SOME :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
    Head's up the true drag race!!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    One thing that no one mentioned is that with hyperutectic pistons you must have .030 ring end gap on the top ring, that is recommended by KB and other manufactures, if you donot and run in the 7,000 rpm range you will pull the top off the pistons. I've seen this on 3 different occasions.

Zip.

Junior Member APPRENTICE

kb pistons

just make sure you have 6.5 times the bore as your top ring gap And the skirt to cylnder wall clearance must be titer than normal cast or forged pistons to prevent rocking. All the heat is kept on the top of the piston. They will work to 7200 no problem but must be set up properly. cyclnder must be honed to the piston clearnce recommeded by kb and ring gap filled to there spec.or ring end gaps will but an pop the top ring land

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

KB pistons mopar 383 ci

Thanks for all the tips ,my motor buzzes to 7200 no problem,516 heads, solid lifter ,600 AFB,small headers. Top ring gap is the trick.

11. Racing Junk