Question about headers

Old 09-15-2009, 05:35 AM
blowninjected540
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Question about headers

I'm Building a new car, Now I was going to go with the pipes to a collector and exit them on each side right behind the front wheel as many of you guys do. Question is about the zoomie headers I is see alot of cars have them to. My Question is there a performance difference ? I am running a 540ci blown injected motor on gas to start, then switch to alcohol, If that matters.. Any insite to this would be great. Thanks Mike
Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

If you make the primaries and collectors big enough, there's minimal difference.

The big advantage with a collector is being able to throw a set of mufflers on it if the rules change.

2-3/8 or 2-1/2 primary pipes are a must. 4.5-5" collector as well.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:39 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

X2 what WJ said, a blower does not like back pressure, if you can't get it out, you can't put it in, if you're going to swith to alcohol, i would go with zoomies, because with alcohol you're going to be putting approx 66% more fuel thru the motor.

JMO

Zip.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:34 PM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

x3 as above mentioned especially with alcohol zoomies with a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 pipe id would be best for a blown application
Old 09-15-2009, 03:36 PM
blowninjected540
EXPERT BUILDER

Zoomies it will be thanks for all your replies, Nice to have a place to go for these types of questions and get a honest answer with other people backing it up. Thanks again Guys. Mike
Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I would give Tim at The Fab Shop a call and discuss with him. He has done a great deal of dyno work with traditional hearders with collectors and merge collectors as well as zoomies.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:50 AM
blowninjected540
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by shawnp
I would give Tim at The Fab Shop a call and discuss with him. He has done a great deal of dyno work with traditional hearders with collectors and merge collectors as well as zoomies.

would you have his number ? Thanks Mike