Fram filter question

Old 09-14-2009, 03:08 PM
jaxsmith
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Fram filter question

I have seen the pages of problems people have had with Fram filters. How many of you with problems were using the Fram Racing Filter? I my self have had problems with another brand but since changing to the fram filter I have had no issues related to filters. I even cut one of their racing filters apart and it looks to be very well constructed. Again, Who has had problems with the Racing filter they make?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

I have been using fram racing filters for years with no problems on sbc and bbc's.

Altho i do know someone that had a engine tear up , which also tore up the oil filter when all the metal tried to keep flowing threw it. They actually got fram to pay for replacing the engine that was built on a dirt floor. U believe that one?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

They did not make the "Racing" filter when I had my problem. No way in hell am I gonna give them any $ for any kind of filter no matter how good it is. WHY TAKE A CHANCE. Just buy a Wix racing filter and you know your not taking any chances!!
Old 09-14-2009, 04:51 PM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

The problems that came about from the Fram Filters was with the bottom of the line filters that they sell at like walmart or autozone. the racing filters are made with a totally different quality control than the lower grade ones. I have used the racing filters and have had no problems whatsoever.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:59 PM
thedude
APPRENTICE

How many of you with problems were using the Fram Racing Filter?
Hey Guys, I worked for a very reputable racing engine company for many years as a machinist, engine builder and dyno tuner. We had a few issues with the Fram racing oil filter. The most notable which almost put a customers $95,000 top dragster on it's roof was the rubber o-ring gasket seal failed which seals the filter to the filter housing on the cylinder block. This originated from Fram beginning to use a taller rubber o-ring gasket on their racing filters and not changing the groove depth at the top of the filter. This created an unstable sealing surface because as the filter was spun-on and sealed against the block it buckled the o-ring from unsufficient support on top of the filter. The o-ring was too tall and the top groove in the filter that the o-ring sat in was too shallow, this created a weak sealing area under constant pressure & volume. Needless to say, in this particular instance mentioned the o-ring gasket puckered and sprung a leak at the 1000ft mark, wetting down the left rear tire with Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic, and I don't need to tell you what happens at 190MPH when you've got oil on your tires. That was the beginning of the end for us and Fram. I have not heared or seen if Fram has fixed this problem concerning the o-ring gasket groove, but immediately after this incedent we tested that same part number again and again on the dyno and it happened several other times in a controlled environment. I have also seen the inner filter collapse on the Fram filters too. I personally always used Wix racing filters in my own racing program and after that incedent we immediately switched to Wix exclusively at the engine shop.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:13 PM
thedude
APPRENTICE

I did remeber after I made the post that after our dyno tests, Fram/Honeywell did make a recall for this problem. They have probably fixed most of the issues they were having by now but I usually don't give second chances in circumstances like that.

This was a press release of that recall:

Honeywell is recalling FRAM Racing HP4 and HP8 oil Filters that were manufactured from May 25, 2006 through September 14, 2007. The affected filters are marked with a date code A61451 through A72571 sequentially. The date code and part number appear on the filter housing (in small black text above "Fram").

The gasket of the oil filter becomes more pliable under high temperatures and pressures. This condition may cause inadequate sealing and loss of engine oil.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:19 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Great post there, Dude. Anyone who experiences a failure such as yours and then spends the time and effort to do controlled tests is someone who we all can learn from. Here's hoping you in turn will gain some pearls of wisdom from the rest of us. Thanks for contributing !
Old 09-14-2009, 05:59 PM
jaxsmith
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I have cut open several filters and never have I seen one as heavy duty as the fram racing hp-?. the paper element did seem to be a little skimpy compared to the others i have seen but this is a racing filter that is not designed to go 5k miles as a regular automotive filter does.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Why even take a chance?
It's just not worth the risk.

JMO, Cp
Old 09-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cepx111
Why even take a chance?
It's just not worth the risk.

JMO, Cp
I agree. I used to use them and never had a problem. I no longer use them because I've heard about the problems. It's not like a wix cost more...they are all about the same so whay not buy the one with the better reputation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -