Machine shops

Old 09-10-2009, 08:51 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Default Machine shops

Anyone else having problems finding a machine shop that will do quality work? There is one of two or three problems:

1. They tell you when it will be done. When you call, they have no idea what you are talking about, then they remember and say, oh yea It will be done on Thursday, Thursday they say it will be done Friday and this game goes on for about a month or so

2. They work is not done properly!

3. You take them a nice 4 bolt block with main caps and you never see your block again!!!! I learned one thing by this, keep your main caps at home!!!!!!!!!! With out them they cant keep your block in there secret storage room!!!!

I live in a big city and there are about 5 "Good" machine shops, haha

I have no problem paying, i would pay double if it was done right and on time.

But now i am out of sbc block's because first they bored my block too big and then they Lost my second block???? I need a 638 casting 87-95 block honed to 4.030-4.031.... and some one to do it right!!!

And to make it worse, my one week motor job has now been Four weeks and i dont even have a block.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:01 PM
chrisr
MASTER BUILDER

Sorry, can't help you. It is the same here. I didn't have a problem with quality but I paid up front and notice stuff coming and going in front of mine. My parts where in line to be balanced and when everything was done, my stuff didn't get balanced. When I asked why, they where using my crank(brand new) as a mock up in several other blocks they were clearancing. :evil:
Old 09-10-2009, 09:15 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

man , just found one good reason to be here in the midwest(not many reasons) we have good machine shops here. maby that why bowhay keep having problems with his builds, pissy machine shops!!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:20 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

In my line of work i would be out of business if i operated like these shops and i wouldnt be able to sleep at night!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:30 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

I here ya, lack of compitition keeps crappy shops alive.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I feel for ya'll
I've always found money up front works best for me, it's usually done right and on time.

The pay as you go route will get you shuffled back more than once by a "hot" job.

Thankfully for me there are quite a few reputable machine shops and dyno services here in the Memphis area.

Cp
Old 09-10-2009, 09:53 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Down here money up front means that u are last in line cuz they allready have your money! And another thing is no one has nice equipment around here either, like a rottler boring machine or auto honing tank... its terrible, i think im gonna drive 150 miles to jankes in san antonio or USA racing, the "wop shop" in Houston to get my stuff done from now on. I also looked up reher morrison, but i dont think they mess with little junk like this.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

with the economy the way it is you might be surprised. its worth a call . better than throwing money away on crap work.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:04 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Must be fortunate here in STL... Gary Duckworth in Maryville, IL, and Performance Auto in Bethalto have always treated me really right.

Machine work is always on the money, tech support is superb (on the rare occasion I needed it), and the prices are reasonable.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:40 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I must be lucky also I have 2 good shops to go to, Nyes always does a great job, quick, on time and price is right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -