Question about stumbling

Old 09-09-2009, 12:49 PM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Default Question about stumbling

I know there are a lot of these ?'s . mine is a little different. I'm trying to find out will to much gas at Idle to wide open be the same kind of stumble as not enough gas at Idle to W O T. My son inlaws truck is having some problems and I'm trying to help but this thing is stumping me.
Thanks Andy
Old 09-09-2009, 12:53 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

I was told along time ago that when the car stutters it to rich and if it bogs it's lean.

when your close you wont feel any of this but still could be off alittle.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:33 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Need more info;

year-make-model
carbed or injected
standard or automatic
when ? cold/hot/all the time
Old 09-10-2009, 09:23 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

it's little ford ranger w/308 cid - dart pro 1 heads -10 to 1 comp. cam is a trick flow stage III - I don't know the specs on it. its a Hdy.roller- it has a single plane Parker intake. 650 pro form carb. jets are squared @ 68, it has a msd 6AL. Timing @ 38 deg. #7 ngk plugs and he runs 93 oct. fuel It weights 2900# it has a 430 gear and a Turbo 350 with a 3000 stall he foot brakes out at 2600 it has 10.5 x 28'' Tires. now when he stages it sounds good but as soon as he hits it it stumbles about 20 feet then it cleans up and runs great. we rejeted to 65 and no change. we didn't have a chance to do anymore testing because of track problems. any advice would be help full.
Andy
Old 09-10-2009, 09:50 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Lean stumble usually sounds like you just turn the motor off as soon as you hit the throttle then pics up and goes on.

Curtis
Old 09-13-2009, 03:32 PM
wmeabates
MASTER BUILDER

Andy,If the stumbling is worse when the motor is cold it's probably lean,worse when hot probably rich.Try an open spacer under the carb to soften the booster signal,if that helps its probably rich'if it's worse it's probably lean.My Proform 750 needed metering block work to fix it.Bill.