Thread: powerglide, WILL NOT SHIFT out of low!

powerglide, WILL NOT SHIFT out of low!

Trans worked fine the the last two passes I made I had to let off, because the trans wouldnt shift out of low gear! electric shifter is shifting into 2nd but the trans is not, you can move the shifter back and forth from low to high and it wont shift out of low gear! it shift into rev. park, neutral and low, but will not go into high!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE DirkaDirka's Avatar
    Clarksville, TN
    Sounds to me that there is something broke inside the tranny that is preventing it from shifting from low to high gear. IMO
    Its all fun and games till someone loses a nut!

Hudson FL
    Check your shifter adjustment. Pull the cable off the lever in ever gear .

Quote Originally Posted by sommersracing
    Check your shifter adjustment. Pull the cable off the lever in ever gear .
    Ya I checked that at the track,,,,, I think the high gear clucth's are smoked! Just fired it up and ran it on the jack,, when you shift it from low to high it looks like the tires slow down,,fluid it nasty black and stinks (well worse then it usually smells)!

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    Orient, OH
    I had one do that a couple years back in a hardtail dragster. It broke the high gear drum. Everything worked except drive. It broke the drum when it bit on the burnout. Hope this helps...
    Josh VanHorne

1964 Chevy Nova
    Worlds quickest and fastest tow truck. (9.92 @ 137)