NHRA tech chassis inspection TX

Old 09-05-2009, 05:46 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Default NHRA tech chassis inspection TX

I am in Austin, Texas.
I need to get my dragster chassis NHRA inspected again.
Does someone have the contact info for who i need to talk 2?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:03 PM
chrisr
MASTER BUILDER

Last time I needed the info, I just got with one of the larger tracks like Ennis or San Antonio Raceway and they gave me the info I needed.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:02 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

In the front of your NHRA rule book it has your area in Texas called the south central division office. The division director's name is Craig Hutchinson in Conroe TX, his phone # is 936-5394474. His E mail is [email protected]
an additional contact in your area is Chuck Nelson Tec director, His E-mail is [email protected]. His phone and fax is this one # ? 936-3449589. Chuck is likely the best contact to get lined up with someone in your area as they have several inspectors that can get you a chassis sticker.
Bruce
Old 09-06-2009, 08:38 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks!!! Im going to give them a call!
I am going to put the helmet bar in the cage which is 1" .058 chromoly. Other than that nothing should need to be changed to pass nhra right? Thanks for the help.

htt[img]p://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9783/sunday031.jpg[/img][/img]
Old 09-07-2009, 04:19 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

I have not built that type of chassis, so I do not have the SFI spec in front of me, however I do have a friend that does build them. I recall him bitching about having to add some molly plates where the cage meats the upper frame rail in 6 places as gussets a few years ago. His issue was that the chassis was power coated(like yours appears to be) and having to add the plate required, well you know. I would check on that before you attempt to re cert that chassis. His chassis was a roadster, and I am sure that the rule change will likely apply to your chassis. They charge the same for failed certs you know!
Bruce
Old 09-07-2009, 07:04 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Yes i know, those six bars go in the main cage and according to my rule book that is the only change. It sucks because yes the car is powder coated and i have to remove alot of it to put those bars in and Then what? Repaint the whole chassis? I wish there was a feasible way to strip all the powder coating off, i would and install the bars and have it recoated. But thats not a choice.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:24 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Looks good other then helmet bars, I assume you are going for a 7.50 tag and not a 6.50 ?

The nice thing about that hammertone powdercoating is you can go to lowes, home depot and get the hammertone spray can and match it up pretty good and cant tell. Down fall to hammertone is they wont tag it advanced because it dont show cracks.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:13 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

No, i need to to go 6.0's The car allready runs 7.20's 190mph.... Thats one thing i was wondering..... whats the different requirements for the two tags?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:17 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kwkracing
No, i need to to go 6.0's The car allready runs 7.20's 190mph.... Thats one thing i was wondering..... whats the different requirements for the two tags?
They look at bars in/around the cockpit unsure of which though, but in the last year or so I am pretty sure they stopped tagging cars faster then 7.50 with hammertone powdercoating. You should call main nhra tech guy and see, I know chassis builders will not use it now.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:31 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

From the photo, you look OK. NHRA, last I was told, would give the 6.00 tag on hammertone coating. IHRA says it is a no no for the advanced ET tag.

The gussets mentioned previously were only required for left hand steer roadsters. It has something to do with the angle of the right hand bad on the roll cage. This is not an issue on a dragster or center steered altered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -