lost oil pressure durring first round

Old 08-31-2009, 03:31 AM
chpseat987
CRAFTSMAN

Default lost oil pressure durring first round

Anyone help please this last friday i lost oil pressure durring my first round, i shut the car down and got it home and apart, the oil pickup tube came loose from th e pump, i pulled the main and rod bearings and the mains are good but the rod bearings are trashed, would it be safe to replace these bearings and emery cloth the crank and keep running? the crank looks really good i caught it in time there are only a small mark on one journal. i only have 3 races left this season. :?:
Old 08-31-2009, 06:28 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

The engine oil passages are full of your old bearings and such. if you completely tear down the engine and re clean the oil passages, pistons ring lands, etc. and re check all machine work, you may be able to run again with out problems if you keep oil pressure in the future. The crank will require at the least a polishing on a crank grinder to keep the journals round and true. Hand polishing is not advised ever on any bearing surface. Sorry about the un welded pick up. Weld the next one on.
Bruce
Old 08-31-2009, 07:09 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

I agree with Topspeed...I would rather sit out a couple of races than explode my motor. Clean everything up, polish the crank and weld the pickup on a new pump. JMO

TS1955
Old 08-31-2009, 07:26 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

On a side note... A pickup falling out can be a sign of detonation in the motor. Might wanna knock a couple degrees of timing out of it, or buy better fuel.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:34 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
On a side note... A pickup falling out can be a sign of detonation in the motor. Might wanna knock a couple degrees of timing out of it, or buy better fuel.
x2. You might never hear it and the knock hits the rear main pretty hard. Dave
Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 AM
chpseat987
CRAFTSMAN

It is a bolt in pick up the bolt came out of the pump and the tube came out as well. i have corrected from that ever happening again i drilled the bolt heads and safety wired them together. i really appreciate everyones help. the crank has zero damage as well as the bearings on the main, but the rod bearings ouch but they never wor through the brass or copper part of the bearing with very little next to no damage n the crank my machinist thinks i will be ok to touch it up with supper fine emery cloth and replace all bearings even the mains.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:37 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Don't be surprised if it goes BANG....... AND..do NOT use a FRAM filter.....
Old 08-31-2009, 02:52 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD

I gotta ask you this. I seen you mention FRAM oil filters a few times now. What is the deal with you and FRAM oil filters?? I am just curious?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:43 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default ??

Just KEEP this in MIND???
The Material that use to be on the Bearings,are Still somewhere in the MOTOR!!!
Hope you Take the WRITE ROAD!
Later
G 8)
Old 09-01-2009, 03:28 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by DirkaDirka
Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD

I gotta ask you this. I seen you mention FRAM oil filters a few times now. What is the deal with you and FRAM oil filters?? I am just curious?
It's not just DrivingMissDD that has a problem with fram filters. Just about every racer on here doesn't like Fram filters. TOOO many bad issues with them.

TS1955

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -