reaming ridges

Old 08-17-2009, 07:51 AM
GMCboywonder
SHOW GUEST

Default reaming ridges

any one know the best way to get rid of ridges other than a ridge reamer or cylinder hone? i tried the ridge reamer and some how broke it the center of the body pulled through(not sure if it was a bad reamer or what 80 bucks at napa seems like it should be a decent piece of equipment) and the cylinder hone isn't doin an even job, any advice on this subject would be greatly appriciated.
thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 07:54 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Sanding drum on an air grinder.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:21 AM
GMCboywonder
SHOW GUEST

i will have to give that a shot do you think a dremel would do any good?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:55 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by GMCboywonder
i will have to give that a shot do you think a dremel would do any good?
/giggle

I guess if you had enough bits and 8 hours of time it would...assuming you could steady the bit well enough to not gouge the cylinder wall or deck surface.

Get a tapered ring compressor and don't worry about chamfering the top. Just don't cut the hell out of yourself when you clean the cylinders.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:57 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Oh hell, I just re-read the post. You're not wanting to chamfer the top. You're after removing the ridge where the rings stopped at the top of the cylinder.

Take it to a machine shop and have it done right. I doubt it would cost what you just spent in that broken tool.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:20 AM
GMCboywonder
SHOW GUEST

well that sucks haha but luckily they refuneded the tool so i got the money to do that now, i really appriciaye the help this is my first four stroke rebuild so i'm learnin somethin new every day
Old 08-19-2009, 11:28 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

well that sucks haha but luckily they refuneded the tool so i got the money to do that now, i really appriciaye the help this is my first four stroke rebuild so i'm learnin somethin new every day
If the ridge is THAT pronounced, you'd probably be well advised on a bore/hone and new piston.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:21 AM
GMCboywonder
SHOW GUEST

its probably about 0.025" to 0.03" thick do you think i culd get the pistons out with that still there?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:43 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
If the ridge is THAT pronounced, you'd probably be well advised on a bore/hone and new piston.
X2...

TS1955
Old 08-20-2009, 04:36 AM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

Throw the block in the back of your truck and go to your local machine shop and ask them to mike it for you to see if it needs boring , most shops do not charge for this service because if it does need boring they know they will get the job..if it doesnt need boring , let them cut the ridges and hone the block for you , you will be alot happier and know it's right before you spend alot of money on it,,,,,Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -