Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reaming ridges

reaming ridges

any one know the best way to get rid of ridges other than a ridge reamer or cylinder hone? i tried the ridge reamer and some how broke it the center of the body pulled through(not sure if it was a bad reamer or what 80 bucks at napa seems like it should be a decent piece of equipment) and the cylinder hone isn't doin an even job, any advice on this subject would be greatly appriciated.
    thanks

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Sanding drum on an air grinder.
    -WJ Birmingham

OneBadGMC.com

i will have to give that a shot do you think a dremel would do any good?

Quote Originally Posted by GMCboywonder
    i will have to give that a shot do you think a dremel would do any good?
    /giggle

I guess if you had enough bits and 8 hours of time it would...assuming you could steady the bit well enough to not gouge the cylinder wall or deck surface.

Get a tapered ring compressor and don't worry about chamfering the top. Just don't cut the hell out of yourself when you clean the cylinders.
    -WJ Birmingham

OneBadGMC.com

Oh hell, I just re-read the post. You're not wanting to chamfer the top. You're after removing the ridge where the rings stopped at the top of the cylinder.

Take it to a machine shop and have it done right. I doubt it would cost what you just spent in that broken tool.
    -WJ Birmingham

OneBadGMC.com

well that sucks haha but luckily they refuneded the tool so i got the money to do that now, i really appriciaye the help this is my first four stroke rebuild so i'm learnin somethin new every day

well that sucks haha but luckily they refuneded the tool so i got the money to do that now, i really appriciaye the help this is my first four stroke rebuild so i'm learnin somethin new every day
    If the ridge is THAT pronounced, you'd probably be well advised on a bore/hone and new piston.
    -WJ Birmingham

OneBadGMC.com

its probably about 0.025" to 0.03" thick do you think i culd get the pistons out with that still there?

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
    If the ridge is THAT pronounced, you'd probably be well advised on a bore/hone and new piston.
    X2...

TS1955

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE THERATTLER's Avatar
    Throw the block in the back of your truck and go to your local machine shop and ask them to mike it for you to see if it needs boring , most shops do not charge for this service because if it does need boring they know they will get the job..if it doesnt need boring , let them cut the ridges and hone the block for you , you will be alot happier and know it's right before you spend alot of money on it,,,,,Paul
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***GOD BLESS AMERICA******