Indexing plugs

Old 08-16-2009, 06:40 PM
chrisr
MASTER BUILDER

Default Indexing plugs

OK, I have several of my fellow racers that index their plugs. It is about half and half on which way they do it. When you index a plug, do you put the spark plug gap pointing down to the piston or up toward the valve springs. I thought I was doing it right but now I am second guessing myself after finding about a 50 50 split among other people.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I thought you pointed it toward the exhaust valve. :? to direct the flame or something like that...I don't fool with it so long as it don't hit the piston.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:41 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

All of mine are indexed with the gap pointing towards the intake valve.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:10 AM
blowninjected540
EXPERT BUILDER

I thought the reason for indexing the plugs was to make sure the gap is facing down so if the piston hits the plug it don't close the gap. (right)
Old 08-17-2009, 05:20 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by blowninjected540
I thought the reason for indexing the plugs was to make sure the gap is facing down so if the piston hits the plug it don't close the gap. (right)

This is always what I've done and the engine builders (nyes,apd) have done also. Between 10-2
Old 08-17-2009, 07:59 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by blowninjected540
If the piston hits the plug on a blower motor, you've got bigger issues at hand than worrying about closing up the plug. :shock:

I do it that way only to ensure consistency between cylinders. Honestly, with 23+:1 compression while in boost, I dont think it matters much.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 AM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

has anyone tested this on a dyno?

I just stick'em in .
Old 08-17-2009, 09:57 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by montecarlo84
has anyone tested this on a dyno?

I just stick'em in .
http://www.eatonbalancing.com/blog/2...plug-indexing/

Granted, they're talking about Ford engines, but it's still a decent article.

If you use a plug with a crush washer, you can mark the ground strap or gap side of the plug (depending on which you want to see), and then tighten it, crushing the washer until the mark lines up where you want it.

If you have a taper seat plug, using tapered seat indexing washers will be required.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MO...0/?image=large
Old 08-17-2009, 11:15 AM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

What is the correct method?

The old timer that taught me always had me index the plugs and point the gap toward the intake valve. I have done that on N/A & Blower motors.

Is this incorrect amoung the world of engine builders out there?

I am having a hard time swollowing the part about just in cast the piston hits the plug. :?

I by no means am a rocket scientist, but if I have always used clay to check my valve to piston clearance and that also gives me a guide to the distance between the spark plug and piston. Even though math calculations seem to be correct, I have always check my clearances this way. "Just my little bit of self assurance"....

By the way that was an interesting read OneBad.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:28 PM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

I have to index my plugs because they will hit and index all of them between 10 and 2 o'clock .
I mark the plug with a sharpie straight down the plug from the strap so i can see where it is and add or subtract washers until they all line up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -