Wheels up

Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 PM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Default Wheels up

I want to run my engine with the wheels off the ground (on jack stands) and the car in gear. What are the dangers of winding it up to 7000 RPM with the rear wheels lifted? Does anyone do this?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:37 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

If it is just the rearend that is off the ground then you run the risk of the jack stands slipping and the car going whatever way it is facing. If all 4 corners are off the ground then you still run the same risk but not as high. JMO

I forgot x3 on taping it.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:01 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Make sure and video it. Please. :shock:
Old 08-10-2009, 10:05 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Centrifigal force begins to play a factor the moment the wheels start to turn.
Tire run-out and or a out of balance condition can make the car unsteady, also the torsional twisting force of the engine and transmission rotating play a factor making the whole car want to twist.

A friend of mine knew a guy who had his jacked up in the rear (floor jack), and reved the motor pretty high (in gear) the car twisted enough when he reved it for one of the wheels to catch traction - you can imagine what happened next> He tore a bunch of shiznit up.

It's very dangerous in my opinion, personally I wouldnt rev it much past a idle and only on if all four corners are on jackstands and the car tied down some how.

JMO>Cp
Old 08-10-2009, 10:26 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

x2 on the request for video....

I have heard of the term "Dream Big", but don't you seriously think your decision making is getting a little out of hand!!!!!

What in the world have you been smoking? "STOP!!!!

You have been duck hunting with a rake long enough.....

Have you ever read the warning on the back of a dump truck?

"Stay Back Atleast 500 Feet"

There is a reason for that, just as there is a good reason for you not to pull off that stupid a$$ stunt, unless your trying to make it on the 10 O'clock news.

Murphys law is just waiting to come a knocking on your door.... I suggest you don't let him in.

JMO
Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Wheels up

Originally Posted by kod99
I want to run my engine with the wheels off the ground (on jack stands) and the car in gear. What are the dangers of winding it up to 7000 RPM with the rear wheels lifted? Does anyone do this?
First why in the world would you have a need to turn your engine up too 7,000 rpms setting on jack stands. Top fuelers and funny cars do not do that in warmup pit sessions. They bip the throttle, for response, but nothing else. What you're saying has no value and certainly is dangerous.

JMO

Zip.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:28 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

A guy in Fontana Calif. died doing this, just recently, in the pits. While testing the transbrake the car came off the stands and launched under a trailer, and caught fire.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:59 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Okay, I am convinced it was a BAD idea. I was going to test the trans-brake and probably would have wound up like the guy in the post. I guess I thought it was bad idea from the start, otherwise I would have just went ahead a did it without talking to you guys first. Thanks for the input and snapping me back to my senses.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:24 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

A fellow racer from drr, was killed this past weekend testing his tbrake in the pits. If you plan to do this do it as far away from people as you can, with a jack and jackstands under the car. There is NO reason to bring it up to the chip just bring it up a little bit.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:54 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

David, was the guy you're talking about, Ronald Marcum, if so we're talking about the same guy. Someone straightened me out, and said he was on a jack, not stands, so I stand corrected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -