Are you legal?

Old 08-10-2009, 05:22 PM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Are you legal?

I went to the DMV today and up-graded the license on my tow vehicle. A friend of mine was in N.C. last summer and was stopped in a DOT check point and apperantly his tow vehicle wasn't licensed to pull the amount of weight that he was pulling. I got looking at my registration and my truck (a 97 F-250) was licensed for only 8000lbs. You guys might be OK, but if you are not sure, ya might want to check it out. Only cost me $70.00 to up-grade too. Spend a little now might save ya a lot later.

TS1955
Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM
newjack42
JUNIOR BUILDER

Yea thats a big deal around here. The D.O.T. boys will camp out by the tracks and wait for us to leave. They go after weight but also the guys wit open trailers with sponsers on the side need to have a D.O.T. number on the truck. Its a load of Bull SH** them just waitin and pickin on us low budget guys.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:55 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

In Nevada they are starting to target people on the lengh of the rigs too. I am barely within the lengh with my horse trailer and it is approx 35 ft long from nose to tail. I pull it with my F350 crewcab dually
Old 08-11-2009, 03:21 AM
blowninjected540
EXPERT BUILDER

If you have no sponser writing on your truck or trailer and you have to have "private coach not for hire" on the vehical. and the big thing is the police officer will ask you do you win any money if you say "yes" you are now a commerical vehical and have to follow all the commerical rules. otherwise hear in MI you don't have to do all the upgrades. "Just my 2 cents been down that road my self with the MICHIGAN STATE POLICE."
Old 08-11-2009, 03:34 AM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Don't advertise anything on your truck or trailer. That automatically makes it a c/v. My rig is 7" over length, but knock on wood, I havn't had any hassles yet.

I found out the other day that in Texas if your trailer is registered over 10,000 lbs, you must have a cdl. I think this is a crock also.