Shipping an engine block

Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Shipping an engine block

I have a BBC that I am considering selling on ebay...just a block and maybe the crank. I've sold several things on ebay..heads, crank etc but never anything as big as a block. Where would a guy go to arrange shipping for something like this? Most stuff I use the ebay shipping calculator and then print the label through ebay and then drop it off at THE UPS STORE...but I have no clue about a block. I have seen the word"FREIGHT" in the shipping calculator on ebay before. What do I need to do/know before I list this thing as far as shipping it goes? Obviously It will depend on where it is going. Any recommendations or advise?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:09 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Yellow freight, R&L, Roadway Etc. Contact a freight company.
You will have to palletize it. I just shipped a complete short block. Weight was about 450 LBS. Cost for shipping was 286.00. Prices vary due to fuel cost and surcharges.

To save on the freight I drop it off at a freight terminal and require the buyer to pick it up at the freight terminal nearest to his shipping address.

One good thing about using a freight company is insurance is included with the shipping price.

You will need to speak with a representative to determine the class shipping code for an engine block. If I get a chance I will forward you the corrrect class shipping code tomorrow...
Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

FedEx can also do it, when i bought my Anglia chassis from A.R.T. in Fl. they shipped it FexEx, i couldn't drive down to get that cheap.

Zip.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:00 AM
blowninjected540
EXPERT BUILDER

I have used R&L carriers before they came right to the house pick up the parts with no issues.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:46 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I have used fed-x in the past for a motor, unless things have changed. Put it on a pallet and they shipped it to a terminal and I went and picked it up there.

Ebay still sucks lol
Old 08-07-2009, 07:37 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Ideally build it into the pallet so it doesn't break loose during handling. Wrap it up in heavy duty trash or block bags in black or dark brown to keep 'curious' eyes from covetting it. Even if it's insured and it 'disappears' , why go through the hassle and a pissed off customer routine.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

EBAY does suck. I have some wheels on there now and when I listed them I put " payment by U.S. postal money order" and it would not allow me to do that... :? I guess they are locking you into using paypal. That sucks
Old 08-07-2009, 01:33 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

I HAVE A SET OF EL CAMINO QUARTER PANELS LISTED AND THE SAME THING, IT WOULDN'T LIST ANYTHING FOR PAYMENT OTHER THAN PAYPAL, SO I PUT IN THE ITEM DISCRIPTION OTHER METHODS OF PAYMENT(PAYPAL MUST BE HUNGERY) :?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:12 PM
brett46
APPRENTICE

look up freight companys on the net. most of them have a size calculator for the area and weight .that will give you the round about price just did it for a rear diff.then a long block from washington state. used conway on the rear end, east coast to illinois 283.00 the engine was only 177.50 through saia.com
Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Shipping an engine block

Originally Posted by Tod74
I have a BBC that I am considering selling on ebay...just a block and maybe the crank. I've sold several things on ebay..heads, crank etc but never anything as big as a block. Where would a guy go to arrange shipping for something like this? Most stuff I use the ebay shipping calculator and then print the label through ebay and then drop it off at THE UPS STORE...but I have no clue about a block. I have seen the word"FREIGHT" in the shipping calculator on ebay before. What do I need to do/know before I list this thing as far as shipping it goes? Obviously It will depend on where it is going. Any recommendations or advise?
ABF Freight
I CHECKED them All,they will do Good by You and they are #1 in My Book!
Class 70 i beleive USED Autoparts,probably Under 200.00 i would guess around 165.00-175.00?
If theres a Dock Close to you,and the Party that you Ship to is willing to pick-up at the Dock?You can SAVE close to 100.00?
The Walker # I have is jsut Outside of G.Rapids 1-800-562-9133.
Just tell the Girls what you NEED and they will HOOK you Up!
Later
G 8)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -