Dart Blocks, does anyone know for sure

Old 08-04-2009, 06:15 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Dart Blocks, does anyone know for sure

if they are cast in the USA, and what foundry? I think that Dart machines them (maybe not), but i just recieved access to a copy of a little M block, with steel Main caps, (not nodular), and exactly the same spec's as a Dart little M for close half price, unfinished bores 4.125, 350 mains. It's a Chinese knock off, maybe someone from Dart will see this thread and respond or maybe Carl Hink knows. Just curious.

Zip.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:51 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Why not go ask on their forums or call them?

The Chinese are getting really good at copying things.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:55 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

http://www.dartheads.com/dartboard/showthread.php?t=303

Q: Where is the SHP block made?

Arons: The SHP block is made in the USA. While some of our competitors are going to low-cost imports from China and India, Dart is committed to maintaining high quality. Our blocks are cast in American foundries where we can constantly monitor the quality of the material and workmanship. If there is a problem, we fix it today, not three or four months later. Except for the actual pouring of the iron, every step of production is done in-house at Dart's manufacturing facilities in Michigan. We use the same Makino CNC machining centers to produce SHP blocks that we use to make our top-of-the-line Race Series blocks.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
http://www.dartheads.com/dartboard/showthread.php?t=303

Q: Where is the SHP block made?

Arons: The SHP block is made in the USA. While some of our competitors are going to low-cost imports from China and India, Dart is committed to maintaining high quality. Our blocks are cast in American foundries where we can constantly monitor the quality of the material and workmanship. If there is a problem, we fix it today, not three or four months later. Except for the actual pouring of the iron, every step of production is done in-house at Dart's manufacturing facilities in Michigan. We use the same Makino CNC machining centers to produce SHP blocks that we use to make our top-of-the-line Race Series blocks.
Thanks Onebad, for the attachment, i had talked to Dick Maskin about 3 weeks ago, but it was in relation on a 496"customer build up, i wanted to use the 308 iron eagle heads, and wanted to know if they would be a good choice for the motor. Which he said they would be the best choice avialble. I just got the email today about the Chinese blks., for like 1/2 price and was curious about the Dart stuff after getting the email.

Zip.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:24 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

I have seen a lot of junk come out of China. I wouldn't touch an egg timer let alone an engine block.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:37 AM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

X2, IF THEY CANT BE TRUSTED TO MAKE PARTS FOR A TOILET WITHOUT CHEATING I SURE AS HELL DONT WANT AN ENGINE BLOCK FROM THERE :shock:
Old 08-05-2009, 04:50 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

I have talked to Richard Maskins quite a few times and he told me they are very well known for their castings and its all done in house.

Here is a link on the china make believe Dart block
I would love to get one in my CNC machine to probe it out.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=154388
Old 08-05-2009, 06:13 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Do you know what R&D means in China?

Receive and duplicate. :roll: :roll:

Dave
Old 08-05-2009, 08:58 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

When i ask a few questions about the Chinese knock off, here's the answers that i got.

Zip.

The block does come with splayed steel caps. The machine work is done in China. The cam bores tend to run tight by ~ .001". The bore also checks in between 4.124" and 4.125". The decks are fairly square, but will need a clean-up cut to seal with a MLS gasket.

The Little M from Dart is available both nodular caps and billet caps.

This block is better than a Dart SHP block, for less money! It is very close to the Dart Little M (it's patterned after it...).
Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 AM
desoto30
JUNIOR BUILDER

So Zip you are saying this is a LittleM (China) copy. Do you think that it is a procomp? they have been turning up here recently, although I've not yet seen one. What would make you think that Dart would know about these yet even when it seems the copy has been stolen from them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -