Whats teh best mud tire for a 4x4....

Old 08-01-2009, 06:52 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Default Whats teh best mud tire for a 4x4....

I was wondering what brand of mud tire to go on my 84 Chevy 4x4. Right now it has 33" All-terrain but i want ot go bigger without having to raise the truck more. It already has a 6" lift on it. Also would I need to put a diff gear in the back for the tire change?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

it depends how you want it to ride. Super Swampers are a good mud tire, but they dont generally ride good.

Most people use bfg tires for street- off roading... i hear they are not lasting long thou anymore

Also depends on what size rims you have

Gears should be changed depending on what size tires you end up with. No gears, its gonna be a turd and hard on the tranny

Just did a chevy straight axle swap and am riding on 4 non balanced 38's not the best ride but not tooooo bad.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:52 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Oh yeah the rim size would have helped betterLOL The rims i have on it now are 15". But I might bring them up tp 16" the width I believe is 8"
Old 01-20-2010, 01:08 AM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

dirka having lots of real world exp with 4x4 tires both in my use and from tire jocky info from customers my first option would be toyo mud country followed by pro comp xmt or xat (extreme mud terrain/ all terain) good wear good ride and if you watch pro comp has buy 3 specials now and again
Old 12-03-2010, 02:19 AM
martyblazer
SHOW GUEST

A 35x16x15 bogger on a 15x14 wheel. U can clear it with 6 inches. I recomend at least a 4.10 gear. That's the best there is in mud. The wide wheel puts more tread on the ground making it last longer on the road. U will see a lot of them with full tread on the outside and slick in the middle due to a narrow wheel. The trick to making a bogger ride good is to let it balance itself. Don't put wheel weights on them. I think. U will be surprised at how smooth they can ride. But don't waste the money if u arnt going to buy the wide wheels. U will be throwing the tires away not long after.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:58 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

What are you doing with truck? Are you just trying to make it look cool or do you really need a bogger. I've have every kind of tire on the road from all small terrains to 44 monster mudders to 44 swampers. All big tires ride like crap when they're real cold. If they don't balance well get them trued and balanced on the truck for the best ride.I've even had to have BFG's trued before. Boggers are the ultimate tire for high horse power mud racing, but not good for the heavy average truck for 4 wheelin in the woods and mud. Get the TSL's if you are set on getting Super Swampers.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:04 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
What are you doing with truck? Are you just trying to make it look cool or do you really need a bogger. I've have every kind of tire on the road from all small terrains to 44 monster mudders to 44 swampers. All big tires ride like crap when they're real cold. If they don't balance well get them trued and balanced on the truck for the best ride.I've even had to have BFG's trued before. Boggers are the ultimate tire for high horse power mud racing, but not good for the heavy average truck for 4 wheelin in the woods and mud. Get the TSL's if you are set on getting Super Swampers.
Well it will be used to go out and have some fun at the mud bogs every now and then and also be my hauler for my quad to where ever. I dont really need a bogger. I would be happy with a good aggressive All terrain tire also.

Oh and I made a mistake and was wrong. The truck has a 4" lift on it not a 6". Had a tire shop put a 35" tire on the front to see if it would clear and it comes to close to the fender so I am going to stick with 33"s.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 AM
ChevyzZz
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I agree that BFG tires are what you should be looking in to. If this is a 4x4 that your driving every day & you just want to take it off in the mud with confidence...Here are the tires you should be looking in to. They were GREAT to me when I had them. I am actually going to be buying me a set come spring.

This is the A/T tires that I HAD & I loved them. Work better then you might think.

These are the M/T I want this spring. Probably just mount them on a different wheel. (just some cheap rally's or somethin) and keep them FOR mud days.

So really, if your looking for mud tires...those 2 are probably (In my opinion) the 2 best tires you can get for a daily driver/ mud truck.
Just because your able to drive these street without vibrating out of your seat. Best part being, they are NOT that salty. Good Luck. & don't forget that you can find some used tires as well, 80% tread or even less will still be great. Especially if your not mudding every day through 4 ft deep swamps. ((O_o)) Hope I helped a little.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:12 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

another tire i have had really good experience with is nitto terra grappler