LOCKED OUT TIMING

Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Default LOCKED OUT TIMING

(1)WILL I GAIN ANYTHING BUY LOCKING OUT MY DIST.
(2)IS IT WORTH IT?
(3)WHAT ELSE NEEDS TO BE DONE WHEN DOING THIS?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:40 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

In my case I started without locking mine. 383, 11.3 compression on alcohol. When I did lock it out I found that it started easier and would build RPM faster, I.E. better throttle response. This is on a drag only motor. I didn't gain anything in e.t. because leaving either off of the foot brake or trans brake, in my case, I was already above the RPM to bring the advance all the way in. Coming up against the brake was better/quicker though.

Curtis

P.S. I changed nothing else but locking the distributor so I would know how it acted differently.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:45 PM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

jeff if your talking about a bone stock motor then easy answer no.if it has mild cam and gently warmed over then prob not. if its a nasty cam with big heads and gonna see lots of rpm then yes. on my bbc with big roller cam its a turd with anything other than a locked out distributor. depends on your application and mostly cam selection
Old 07-28-2009, 03:09 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by russ67chevelle
jeff if your talking about a bone stock motor then easy answer no.if it has mild cam and gently warmed over then prob not. if its a nasty cam with big heads and gonna see lots of rpm then yes. on my bbc with big roller cam its a turd with anything other than a locked out distributor. depends on your application and mostly cam selection
I GUESS I WILL TRY IT. 688 LIFT CAM AFR210 FULLY PORTED HEADS.RACE ONLY.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:14 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

In your case absolutely. We found even with duration as small a [email protected] on a tight LSA, 106 to 108, they responded to locked out timing. Unless you are running less total timing currently, start at about 36˚ and work up 1 at a time watching the plugs ground strap. The heat line should be mid way in the bend of the ground strap. Start with fresh plugs. Also stop and go back 1 if the ET or MPH falls off.