BBC CASTING #'S

Old 07-25-2009, 01:30 PM
whitey70ss
MASTER BUILDER

Default BBC CASTING #'S

HELLO i HAVE A BBC THAT I WAS WANTING TO FIND OUT JUST EXACTLY IT WAS. I HAVE THE NUMBERS OFF THE BLOCK AND HEADS . THE PAD IN FRONT OF THE PASSENGER SIDE HEAD READS=T1001TRW C4B116871 ON THE BACK OF THE BLOCK IT READS 999289 T12 DRIVERS SIDE HEAD READS 12673 GM11T PASS 336781 PASSENGER SIDE HEAD READS 338781 GM9T 12773 . IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME OUT I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:52 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

http://www.nastyz28.com/bbcmenu.php
Old 07-25-2009, 02:05 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

IT CAME OUT OF A 69 VETTE! :lol: :lol: Sorry, I had to say it!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:10 PM
whitey70ss
MASTER BUILDER

THANKS ONE BAD i FIGURED IT OUT. 113CC CHAMBER HEADS CAME IN A 73 -79 PASSENGER CAR 270 WHOPPIN HP !! i'M GUESSIN THIS WOULDNT BE A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A DRAG CAR?? :lol: BUT ON A SERIUOS NOTE WITH A CAM UPGRADE AND SINGLE PLANE INTAKE AND GOOD CARB AND HEADERS WHAT IS THIS ENGINE CAPABLE OF ??
Old 07-25-2009, 10:17 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by whitey70ss
THANKS ONE BAD i FIGURED IT OUT. 113CC CHAMBER HEADS CAME IN A 73 -79 PASSENGER CAR 270 WHOPPIN HP !! i'M GUESSIN THIS WOULDNT BE A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A DRAG CAR?? :lol: BUT ON A SERIUOS NOTE WITH A CAM UPGRADE AND SINGLE PLANE INTAKE AND GOOD CARB AND HEADERS WHAT IS THIS ENGINE CAPABLE OF ??
Absolute worst heads Chevy ever made for the BBC. Those are the emissions smog heads, better known as "peanut ports".

You will also have a terrible time finding pistons for them that will work. They are neither a closed chamber head nor open. A true open chamber is 119CC.

Take them down to your local scrap yard and donate them, or use them in a tow truck.

They won't make HP, but they will make torque. Good for towing, not hot rodding.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:32 PM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Absolute worst heads Chevy ever made for the BBC. Those are the emissions smog heads, better known as "peanut ports".

You will also have a terrible time finding pistons for them that will work. They are neither a closed chamber head nor open. A true open chamber is 119CC.

Take them down to your local scrap yard and donate them, or use them in a tow truck.

They won't make HP, but they will make torque. Good for towing, not hot rodding.
The 14092360 casting is known as the "peanut port" head and are good for a peanut port. The 781 and 049 head have the large oval ports and can be made to make some decent power. www.mortec.com is a good place to look for casting numbers.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Absolute worst heads Chevy ever made for the BBC. Take them down to your local scrap yard and donate them.
talk about bursting someone's buble. :lol: Hey at least you are honest. I thought I read somewhere years ago that Lingenfelter(sp) could make impressive numbers with those with port work. Obviously much more cost effective to buy better haeds especially since he is gone now.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:28 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by tcarda

The 14092360 casting is known as the "peanut port" head and are good for a peanut port. The 781 and 049 head have the large oval ports and can be made to make some decent power. www.mortec.com is a good place to look for casting numbers.
Neither 781 nor 049 heads came with a 113CC chamber. They were both 119CC (in reality they varied between 118 and 122). I have a set of 049s sitting in the basement now.

So I guess the thing to check would be the chamber. If it's a true 781, it won't be a 113CC.

If it's a semi-open, like I said before, it'll be a pain in the arse to get a good piston for it.

Even if it's a 781/049, in order to make it breathe, the valves will have to be upgraded to 2.19/1.88s, which means new seats.

By the time you get done messing with rebuilding them and doing needed upgrades, it would have been just as easy to buy a low end set of aluminum heads.

And yes, you can make good power. I ran 13 flats with a 462 in a 3700 lb truck with them with a 9.5:1 motor (about 435 HP). Same motor with a B&M Powercharger 250 (4-71) with 7 PSI went 11.30s on pump gas in 1994 (about 660 HP).

Same motor with an alky dominator on top ran 10.50s just with a carb/fuel change (about 820 HP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsCQbYpzQPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW-9NV0VDMQ
Old 07-27-2009, 11:55 AM
whitey70ss
MASTER BUILDER

so basically the heads are boat anchors. and the block has low compression pistons?? I was thinking about putting it in my 81 malibu drag car for a low budget play toy but by the sounds of it this thing would be slower than my street car.???
Old 07-27-2009, 01:19 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

You could make it into a good motor, with a LOT of work. Realistically though, it's probably going to make the same power as a good small block, except it weighs 200 lbs more.

I mean, if it's together and running, toss it in there, assuming you have headers and appropriate front springs for your malibu. Spray the snot out of it and don't care about blowing it up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -