Stall Converter Trans Brake Powerglide and launch rpm

Old 07-08-2009, 03:47 PM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

Default Stall Converter Trans Brake Powerglide and launch rpm

I'm confused about stall speed, etc. Given the above, what rpm do I want the engine to be at when I launch with or without the transbrake. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:26 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

You want to launch "flash" your convertor 200 rpms over your peak torque on foot or t-brake. This alone is a good reason to put a motor on a dyno.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:44 AM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

I wish I could do that. No dyno's anywhere near me.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:31 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Need more engine info then......
Old 07-10-2009, 04:35 AM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

Ok. 509 Dart BBC, 871 Blower - 10lb boost - CompCams blower grind solid roller, Profiler heads, Advanced Transmission powerglide, new converter but I don't know what the stall speed is. I can find out easy enough, I just haven't asked yet. The old one on the non-blown engine was 3800.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Hey guys when he threw the blower in I don't have a clue what to suggest other than they makes tons of low end torque but I'm lost on this one. Get the cam specs and convertor specs I could help a little more.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:26 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by jreiley
Ok. 509 Dart BBC, 871 Blower - 10lb boost - CompCams blower grind solid roller, Profiler heads, Advanced Transmission powerglide, new converter but I don't know what the stall speed is. I can find out easy enough, I just haven't asked yet. The old one on the non-blown engine was 3800.
Stall speed is not something you would ask anyone its something you would find out one of these ways.

1. Have a playback tach, and when you launch the car takes off and the converter flashes, this point is called the flash stall. Also when you shift from 1-2 and the rpms drop this is called the stall recovery.

2. You can check it by pulling the launch chip and putting it up on the transbrake and see what rpms the converter goes to. This result is not the same as the track will be though.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:02 PM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

I am getting more and more confused. What does a stall converter do that a regular torque converter doesn't? And what is flash?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:11 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

SMASH on the brake,then start giving it gas,watch the tach,when the car tries to move remember that RPM.Then tell us :P
Old 07-10-2009, 05:17 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I don't mean to pick or be rude, but I do have a ??. This seams to be a pretty big motor for somebody that doesn't know much about stall convertors. PLEASE don't take that wrong. I'm like everybody else and trying to figure out all the details so we can help. You're just a long ways into this to be asking this question. Again not trying to pick just trying to figure it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -