Out of round slicks

Old 07-07-2009, 12:16 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Default Out of round slicks

OK, I've got a tire problem guys.
I had a flat on one of my rear slicks, they are 14.5 x 32's phoenix's
It went down to rim maybe three times total before I go it home and off the trailor last weekend.
I fixed the leak already ( small patch, tiny hole), I made 2 passes saturday night and it was bouncing like crazy in the burn-out box and down the track.
I aborted the idea of racing after it did the same thing in the 2nd TT.
While still at the track I jacked up the car, put it in drive to check a few things, I glanced over at the right rear tire and it looked like an egg rotating around on the rim.

This tire was fine before I had the flat, I've only got maybe 4 weekends on this set so I'm not real crazy about the idea of running out and buying a new one.

Today I removed the tire form the car and all the rim screws and aired the crap out of it (35psi) I'm just letting it sit with the air in there, its been cloudy here in memphis lately so if the sun comes tomorrow I'm gonna let it get good and hot and see if that helps too (My buddy Earl told me to do that).

Any other ideas?

Thx, Cp
Old 07-07-2009, 02:36 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

No ideas but I friend of mine almost crashed his altered a few weeks ago. The car started with a bounce similar to yours. He raced it that way for a couple of weeks. He wasn't susre what was causing the bounce. It got so bad on the last pass that I could see both sides of the car as it bounced back and forth in the shut down. He said all he thought was "OH NO, How bad is this going to hurt?" He was sure it was going to roll. It didn't. He loaded it up right then. He told me at the next race that the tires had went egg shaped.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:39 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Not much experience with drag tires, but a tire isn't worth wrecking your car! I would check it again after a day or two of being aired up, but I would probably just buy a new one.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:37 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Tires

For a tire to be egg shaped, it's got to be damaged pretty badly. Just get another pair. Not worth the risk. JMO
Old 07-08-2009, 12:33 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Thx for the replies guys, the jury is still out on the slick.
I let it sit in the sun a good bit today with 35 PSI in it, flipping it over every once in awhile.
Gonna mount it back on the car today and see how it looks, and yeah ya'll are right I'll be buying new a new one if this doesnt fix it.
No since in being a danger to myself and other racers.
Thx again, Cp
Old 07-08-2009, 04:26 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Charles, better check your roll out now side to side after letting one sit in the sun aired up tight like that.

Curtis
Old 07-08-2009, 12:15 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Make sure the wheel didn't get bent while removing the slick for patching and make sure the bead seated. I would also check the balance.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:40 AM
timothysiler
APPRENTICE

I can promise you the Roll out is different if you had one at 35psi in the sun and the other in the shade. M/T is the worst for sending tires out with up to 2" different in Roll Outs. I would stick with Goodyears... Of course I am a big tire car. I got a set of Brand new M/T with one pass with 2" different in Roll out and M/T doesn't want to help.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:28 PM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default tires

No offense but why would you run anything but a hoosier or a goodyear, any thing less is cheaper not better, their is nothing to think about, cowboy up and buy a name brand slick and if you still have the same problem it is not your slick but at least you will have a tire you will be very happy with..
Old 09-13-2009, 05:38 PM
jaxsmith
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Your problem is going to be a balance or alignment on wheel (mounting ) issue. I have seen new tires that are bad dont get me wrong. I have seen tires that spin on the wheel and cause this issue (rim screws solved this one and seen tires mounted with a twist in them. My car has sat a lot over the last four years and I always bring the tires back around by letting them turn with the car jacked up and then a good hard burn out on the first pass. When you jack the car up and let them turn you can tell when they come around. I would break that tire back down and reseat the beads and make sure they are not twisted slightly when the bead seats. If you watch the guys at a tire shop they grab the tire as they put air it. Thats fine but make sure there is no twist in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -