SBC Head choice for 406

Old 06-28-2009, 05:50 PM
supergass
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default SBC Head choice for 406

I want to keep a 23 deg head but there are a few good chioces. I have a set of AFR 227 CNC and they are very good. Are there anything out htere new yet any better? I know that Brodix has a head hunter oval head but it doesnt seem to be any better according to the numbers posted. I am building a 406 with 11.5 to 1 and a roller with 700 lift and 260 and 270 at .050. Dart even has a 232cc head and one in the 240cc runner volume. What is working, is the all pro heads worth the money ? I see they have a Raised Runner 245 cc head and a Raised Runner 227cc. Im thinking the pricing they are posting are for 1 head.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:14 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

You might check with AFR and see if they can update it, they have a new 235 version.
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17031

Unless you are class limited I would go to an 18˚ or 15˚ for anything more.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:56 AM
supergass
JUNIOR BUILDER

Thanks Mark, that was just the info I was looking for! It appears to me that Big Joe is satisfied with the AFRs. I like the other 18deg and 15 deg stuff alot but I try to remember Im just a bracket racer and to keep myself from going crazy. It helps me to be able to buy fresh tires and race fuel when I need it too!!
Old 06-29-2009, 06:56 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Joe seems to have a knack with making power out of AFR heads, you might even send them to him to update. If you have run yours for a fair amount of time be prepared to get new valves and springs as well.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:02 PM
houtxgent
SHOW GUEST

Default Hea Choice

I amin the middle of getting my parts together for a 408 sbc. I got an Eagle Forged crank,Eagle forged H-beam rods and forged 14-1 Mahle pistons. I have a Comp solid roller cam 673 lift with duration of 262 and [email protected]. My question too deals with head choice. Has anyone had any expierence with Patriot or RHS heads? I have found a couple of dealers where I can get the Patriots with 220 runners and 2.08 and 1.60 valves for around $1100. Basically same thing with the RHS heads.....only 235 runners. I am not trying to be cheap....just not break the bank for now.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:30 AM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: Hea Choice

Originally Posted by houtxgent
I amin the middle of getting my parts together for a 408 sbc. I got an Eagle Forged crank,Eagle forged H-beam rods and forged 14-1 Mahle pistons. I have a Comp solid roller cam 673 lift with duration of 262 and [email protected]. My question too deals with head choice. Has anyone had any expierence with Patriot or RHS heads? I have found a couple of dealers where I can get the Patriots with 220 runners and 2.08 and 1.60 valves for around $1100. Basically same thing with the RHS heads.....only 235 runners. I am not trying to be cheap....just not break the bank for now.
Read the post above they are telling you the best heads that are out there and there wasn't one mention of patriot or rhs.....if you do a search you will find lots of posts on these heads and none were to postive..........patriot heads are chinese castings and rhs are owned by comp cam a old aussie company if i were to choose i would take the rhs but for the best bang for your buck go to afr