Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strongest starter and flywheel

Strongest starter and flywheel

Having problems this weekend with turning over a hot motor, we ended up chewing up the teeth on our flywheel. What is the strongest starter/ flywheel combo out there? I have a B&M flex in this car (same in our old car) and the flywheel just didn't seem to last. I put in a billet CSR flywheel in our old car(before we sold the car) that seemed to work well.

Sorry, just realized I posted in the wrong forum section ops:

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: Strongest starter and flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog95
    Having problems this weekend with turning over a hot motor, we ended up chewing up the teeth on our flywheel. What is the strongest starter/ flywheel combo out there? I have a B&M flex in this car (same in our old car) and the flywheel just didn't seem to last. I put in a billet CSR flywheel in our old car(before we sold the car) that seemed to work well.
    I went through a bunch of them high dollar and non-high dollar, there is usually a reason it chews up flexplates not a cheap flexplate issue.

Do you have a start retard or does the voltage drop off a lot when cranking ?
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Another guy asked me about the start retard (I don't have one) but I never thought about the volt drop. I better check the size of wire to the starter and volts during cranking- Thanks!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar

Starter

Are you running a Ford solenoid in the starter system? If not, it may be a good investment. It allows more current to flow to the starter. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog95
    Another guy asked me about the start retard (I don't have one) but I never thought about the volt drop. I better check the size of wire to the starter and volts during cranking- Thanks!
    I went through this last year, before testing everything and finding a voltage issue wasnt helping matters.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE THERATTLER's Avatar
    I USED TO GO THROUGH THOSE MINI STARTERS LIKE CRAZY , THEN I RELIZED I HAD A START RETARD BUILT INTO MY 7AL3 , I HOOKED IT UP AND HAVN'T HAD A PROBLEM SINCE...PAUL
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***GOD BLESS AMERICA******

Quote Originally Posted by maniac
    I USED TO GO THROUGH THOSE MINI STARTERS LIKE CRAZY , THEN I RELIZED I HAD A START RETARD BUILT INTO MY 7AL3 , I HOOKED IT UP AND HAVN'T HAD A PROBLEM SINCE...PAUL
    very suprising, being the al3 has 25degrees start timing pulled out usually causes tons of issues instead of helps.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    My old 6AL had a start retard. real easy to set. Motor turned over like a street car.
    It Ain't Over Til Its NOVA - 634ci of S*#t Your Pants!

Maybe they get more time to cool down. Mine will start better cold with the start retard but will kick back when its hot. Since I start more after its warmed up I don't run mine.