Speedo/69 Camaro

Old 06-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Default Speedo/69 Camaro

Gonna have to fix either the speedop or a cable on the 69er. Replaced the speedo gear in the trans... no avail. So, any tips before I get started?? I could foresee myself spending alot of time on this when I have never done a cable or removed a speedo. what are the "do's & don'ts" Thanks, Scooter
Old 06-12-2009, 04:29 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Speedo

Disconnect the cable from the speedometer housing. The end of the cable should be a squared wire.With the car on jack stands and the rear wheels off the ground, start the car and put it in gear. The inner cable should spin. If it doesn't, pull the cable at the tranny and make sure that that drive is working. If the drive is operative, pull the center cable out with a pair of needle nose pliers from the speedometer end. The cable can be gotten at NAPA or most parts stores. Use the old cable as a template for the new one. The length will have to be adjusted by you. Make sure to grease it as it is being slid thru the cable housing again. Reconnect and try it again. It should work. You could also pull the cable at the tranny and hook a drill to it and test it before you disconnect it at the speedometer. If it works with the drill connected then your drive isn't working.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Fla, thanks. I have the car up on stands now. i am going to do what you said using the drill method first & work my way up to the speedo. I put a new 4:11 TH350 speedo gear in the trans recently, but no avail. We shall see... Thanks Brutha!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Rigsby
Fla, thanks. I have the car up on stands now. i am going to do what you said using the drill method first & work my way up to the speedo. I put a new 4:11 TH350 speedo gear in the trans recently, but no avail. We shall see... Thanks Brutha!!!
Paul... I PM'd you. Scoot