Glide and Trans Brake Strenght ?

Old 06-12-2009, 06:12 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Default Glide and Trans Brake Strenght ?

I am new to this type of Racing [Trans Brake] I've always used the foot Brake. I built a 69 Camaro 6.40 1/8 mile car and a 6.20 1/8 mile 85 camaro both have Trans Brake. but I've never used the Brakes always just foot brake. My Question is will the Trans Brake tear up the Trans or rear end any more so than foot braking. comming out at 5000 rpm seems like a lot of stress on the trans and rear end. the car weights 2670 with me in it. it is 665 HP sbc 575 Ft Lbs Tq. 514- 9'' rearend 14'' x 32'' slicks and a 1.76 Glide. the Man who put it together says it was built to use the Break I'm just currious about life of the Trans using the Brake.
Thanks Andy
Old 06-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

It will be a greater shock to the driveshaft universal joints and the rearend because it is an instant hit...when you foot brake it all the slop and what not is taken up before the launch. With the brakie it is sorta like nuetral dropping it....at least that's my opinion.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:18 AM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

The weak part that i see is the 1.76 gear set unless it is a good aftermarket one sounds like you got a pretty good set up there .
Tod is right it is a hard hit on the drive line you will need good u-joints and drive shaft for it to really last i have ran stock gear sets for a couple of seasons before they broke but a stock gear set want handle a lot of hard launches .
One good thing for you is your car is light and that will help a ton.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:54 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks Guys you've been a lot of help. I know that somethings are just gonna break but I just wanted to see how often these do break and what kind of life I could expect out of it using the Brake.
Andy
Old 06-13-2009, 04:44 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

Tell you what, once you start using the transbrake you won't never go back to footbraking it.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:39 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

everything you have will work good, car is somewhat light and not a ton of HP.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:07 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks To all yall, you have been very Helpful.
Andy Byrd
Old 06-16-2009, 02:11 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

Andy I read that you used your transbrake. What'd I tell ya. No comparison with footbraking it eh bud.