Shogun tranny coolers

Old 06-08-2009, 04:27 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Default Shogun tranny coolers

Anyone use a Shogun tranny cooler? Do they work better than a radiator type cooler with a fan? By that I mean a cooler that looks like a small radiator, not a cooler that's in the tank of a radiator. Thanks in advance for all replys.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:20 AM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

I havn't used that particular product. My experience with Shogun is anything they sell works and work well.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

are you speaking of the shogun that just adds 5qts more fluid ?

If so not even close to as good as like a b&m cooler with a fan. Why- when the extra 5qts of fluid gets hot your worse off then
Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

I just bought a shogun cooler. I was going to buy a B&M 4 quart. But on the B&M 4 quart it doesn't have a check valve so all that fluid when it gets hot and you kill your engine will just drain back into the trans. And on a B&M with fan it isn't cooling in the pits. I like the Shogun because it holds 5 quarts with a check valve to keep the fluid from draining back into the trans. If you shoot the cooler when you first get into the pits its around 190 by the time for next round its only 130. My trans is at 150 still. The fluide setting in the cooler with fins, cools more than in the tranny. The B&M with the fan may cool more going down track and on the return road, but I think the Shogun cools way better in the pits. The deciding factor for me was the extran 5 quarts.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:47 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Yes David, that's the one. I kinda had those same thoughts, just 5 more qts. of hot fluid. Is there an ideal operating range as far as temp. goes?

So far that's the only style Shogun I've found, is there another style that works better? Biggest reason I ask is I have a good sized radiator type oil cooler, with a fan on it, If that's as good as it gets...I'll use it.

Well the drainback issue didn't occur to me dparker, but what if a guy put check valves in the lines to hold the fluid in the cooler, would this give the best of both worlds situation, or am I headed for another burn down.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:27 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by suicidebomb
Yes David, that's the one. I kinda had those same thoughts, just 5 more qts. of hot fluid. Is there an ideal operating range as far as temp. goes?

So far that's the only style Shogun I've found, is there another style that works better? Biggest reason I ask is I have a good sized radiator type oil cooler, with a fan on it, If that's as good as it gets...I'll use it.

Well the drainback issue didn't occur to me dparker, but what if a guy put check valves in the lines to hold the fluid in the cooler, would this give the best of both worlds situation, or am I headed for another burn down.
I wasnt sure if shogun had made any other one or not, I went away from the extra fluid ones 3-4 yrs ago, when ya round robin it sucks. Ideal temp for me is 170 and lower but most trans guys will tell ya 220 is ok. My trans guy is a nut about this and wants all to be under 180 no matter what. Not sure about not being able to run the b&m cooler with fan when ya get back, I have mine setup to run off a switch and run it whenver it gets 175ish but they come with a temp sensor to come on at 165 degrees. hope this helps
Old 06-08-2009, 12:00 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

The shogun has check valves now that won't let the oil drain back. With the fins on the cooler it allows the 5 quarts to cool while your in the pits. With the additional fluid it also takes longer to get hot. I feel that your temps will be more consistant with a shogun. My trans is 150 to 160 until I start the car it jumps to 140 to 145. Because the fluid in the shogun is 120 to 130 when it mixes with the trans oil which is 150 to 160. What could be better than having 1/3 of your oil in a cooler that is cooling it will you wait till the next round. The check valves are a big improvement. I talked to the B&M r&d, they told me they had put a tube in the exit side of the cooler to help that. I told them if you hadn't done that the cooler would never have gotten full and that it would still drain back in the trans when the engine was turned off. After talking with Bill at shogun I bought it. I do see where the b&m with the fan has its advantages but I decided the shogun would be more advantageous to my application.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:15 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Yes David it did help. Thanks, and thank you dparker and jreiley, much appreciated. Ya'll gave me some stuff to cogitate.