oil filter relocation

Old 06-05-2009, 06:49 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default oil filter relocation

i have to relocate the oil filter on my SBC vega up to the radiator support area(no other room closer) and i have been told by some that it is not good and may affect my oil pressure and or flow (volume) is this true in any way or is it just a unsubstantiated opinion.. the relocation lines are 4 feet. any info is appreciated thanks chevy art
Old 06-06-2009, 01:11 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

I put a remote filter and cooler on mine at one time. Made no difference in pressure, couldn't say about flow tho, never checked it.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:08 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Try to use straight or 45 degree fittings. The 90's will hinder flow.

Good luck, Dave
Old 06-06-2009, 06:52 AM
cubed
APPRENTICE

Default filter

i put one on a v8 vega wagon cause i had to drop header to change filter.it still carried 70lbs. i used half inch hose. go for it.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:57 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: oil filter relocation

Originally Posted by chevyart
i have to relocate the oil filter on my SBC vega up to the radiator support area(no other room closer) and i have been told by some that it is not good and may affect my oil pressure and or flow (volume) is this true in any way or is it just a unsubstantiated opinion.. the relocation lines are 4 feet. any info is appreciated thanks chevy art
Hey are we going to get to see a 10 second pass out of that Vega this weekend? I have an alcohol carb that will get you in the 10s if you need. You putting that bigger engine in your Vega probably gonna cost alot of these other guys alot of money to speed there N/E cars up. Did that high temp wrap work on those oil lines?
take care and good luck this weekend,
Old 06-06-2009, 12:42 PM
desoto30
JUNIOR BUILDER

FWIW as far as I am able to see, opinion on (braided) hose size as not to be a problem seems to be -10 I can't say for sure maybe an expert can confirm or refute this.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:59 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Line Size

Originally Posted by desoto30
FWIW as far as I am able to see, opinion on (braided) hose size as not to be a problem seems to be -10 I can't say for sure maybe an expert can confirm or refute this.
1/2 = -10 and if you use -10 that is Fine!
As far as Flow,i have used -10 but Normally -12 for Oil lines.Dont worry about anyone telling you that they will have a FLOW Problem!
Use a Flowed 90,45 or whatever you NEED to get the Job done?
I have even used 120's,150's and 180's,NO ISSUES!!!
Later
G 8)
Old 06-06-2009, 01:57 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default 4' is a long way for gravity alone

I would never relocate the filter with lines of any size over 3'. The biggest reason is the entire system of lines and filter drain back to the engine and has to refill upon restarts which causes the engine to go without lube until the lines and filter refill. The check in the filter helps but will not eliminate the issue unless the filter and lines are mounted below the oil level in the pan similar to the stock elevation or below. Cranking the engine prior to fire up after sitting for a day or so may be advisable with your long line set up. Your oil pressure guage may tell the story after an oil change as to how long it takes to get pressure. In dry sump systems, we have to crank the engine to re prime the supply tank due to drain back of the tank to the engine oil pan that occures due to gravity draining. Your long lines may have a similar need to be re primed to give the engine oil pressure quickly at fire up. In a dry sump system the oil pump is forward the engine pumping oil rearward with the direction of G force and single supply line to the filter. In your stock oil system the oil pump is in the rear pumping oil forward against acceleration to your filter near the radiator! If these are not enough reason's not to run long lines, then remember that G forces act on the oil in the lines just like it does your fuel lines fighting to feed the engine up front. Oil pressure will stall for a moment in both lines under high G launches just like a rear mounted fuel system is known to. This is not a condition that is worth gambling with long oil lines going north and south in the engine compartment in my opinion. Shorter lines going East and West are preferred to connect oil lines from the block to the filter to eliminate G forces from influencing the pressure with acceleration.
Things to think about
Bruce
Old 06-06-2009, 07:12 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default long oil lines

hey topspeedlowet(bruce) hey bruce thanks for that post. i can relate to everything you saidi will look into routing a short line under the engine at front of tranny and try and mount the filter on firewall where the heater blower used to be(thats an east-west direction) and maybe only 2-21/2 feet length of hose. did you say to try and get filter higher or lower than oil pan, or better said, where should i try and mount the filter(heigth-wise). i will not proceed with this job until i fully try and do what you suggested. it makes total sense. any other pointers would really be appreciated thanks again chevy art
Old 06-07-2009, 02:26 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

As for the height of the filter, try to mount it at least as low as the stock pad on the block would have had it. The only restriction you have is the ground clearance of your car. I would try to be sure that both lines run slightly down hill to the filter from the block and that the filter is mounted vertical to negate drain back. The flywheel or flexplate is near the firewall mounting location so caution should be used when looking at the routing of the lines and filter in case of a flexplate failure. I do not recommend using hydraulic lines from your parts store for this job. The ID of these high pressure (3500psi) lines are very restrictive and have problems of there own due to there lack of flexability and smaller ID. #10 or #12 line like aeroquip or russell makes is well suited for this job, and will not present new problems with your install and will last as long as you care to use them. I hope this recommendation makes your decision easier on how you mount your filter housing.
Bruce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -