Delay boxes

Old 06-05-2009, 11:12 AM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default Delay boxes

Never had a box before, dont have or want nitrous, shift solonieds or etc. Just have a trans brake - just looking for advice on what kind of box to buy, as I built the car over the years I can no longer leave on the third yellow flash or I red light. Has this happened to you, did a box help you. Not happy with a lot of electronics, want something a 50 year old man can run and see, by the way I am 50. Thanks for any input, Eric
Old 06-05-2009, 01:30 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

In my opinion the simplest delay box to use is this one...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dedenbear/302/CO2/10002/-1

There are alot of flashy boxes out there but this one is SIMPLE! A good friend of mine was in about your situation and we set up one of these in his car and he didnt have any issues operating it. Most of the other boxes are digital and have alot of settings that most dont use, my new delay box came with a 20 page instruction book. I think the dedenbear one comes with 1 or 2 pages of instructions...
Old 06-05-2009, 01:50 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Josh, Now that is something I can live with. One or two page manual, and I don't need the Spanish sheet!

My GPS can take pictures, movies, drive, wash clothes and change a diaper. The 200 page book says so, I just can't (or don't have the time) figure it out.

:lol: Dave

P.S. Eric, nothing wrong with being 50 or older.....just mash the pedal.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:56 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

About the most basic, easy to understand box around is the ol
Dedenbear RTD7. I ran one for years in my 63 Nova. Never a problem. About $200 from Jegs and yes, it'll help you go green with a car that won't........delay boxes aren't magic though. You still have to react consistently to the tree.
Johnny
Old 06-05-2009, 06:51 PM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

The CO2 is a good box. I used one for years. Not fancy but gets the job done!

TS1955
Old 06-06-2009, 04:20 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I've used a lot, the best and easiest I've used is one of the basic Biondo Mega Series boxes, like a Mega 85
Old 06-06-2009, 04:39 AM
camarotale
CRAFTSMAN

Default delay boxes

what is cross talk compared to cross over
are some boxes easier to see and how about the size of buttons if a person wants to make a last second change
Old 06-07-2009, 09:13 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: delay boxes

Originally Posted by camarotale
what is cross talk compared to cross over
are some boxes easier to see and how about the size of buttons if a person wants to make a last second change
IMO the mega series is easier to see and buttons are bigger.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:43 PM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

Delay boxes are illegal in NZ. Tell me... how can it help you. Don't you have to release the transbrake on the first orange. So if you red light on the third, won't you still do that?
Old 06-07-2009, 01:36 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by chevyfireball
Delay boxes are illegal in NZ. Tell me... how can it help you. Don't you have to release the transbrake on the first orange. So if you red light on the third, won't you still do that?
Leaving off the top amber is called leaving on a clean tree. Anytime you leave off the bottom amber you have a chance of anticipating the light. Meaning your consistantency would be down. Always more consistant to leave on a clean tree. Chevyfireball to answer your question, with a delay box you can put in the amount of time it takes for the first bulb to come on until the last bulb comes on. I run 1.145 delay in my box to get a .505 light. If I go red say -.009 I would add .014 to my box. Thats .505-.491, which is the true light of a .009 red, anyway that would be .014 making my new delay now in my box a 1.159.
The crosstalk mode gives a big advantage to the faster car because now he has a clean tree because both top bulbs come on at the same time. In crosstalk the faster car doesn't have to look at his opponents light which gives him a clean bulb to see. Reason being the lights are aimed at the car for that lane. If your in crossover mode the light on the slower car comes on first, which means you have to look at a bulb that is not faced toward you. Therefore your light will be slower. A delay box that has a crossover mode will be set up so that when your in crossover mode you can add time to make your light the same as it is when your looking at your light. Usually about .015. If you understand this you don't need a delay box that has crossover mode. You can just take out .015 from your box when you run a slower car and leave off his bulb.
I really don't think crosstalk is fair to the slower car. The faster car gets a clean tree being that his light comes on at the same time as the slower car and doesn't have to look at the slower cars light. Thats bad enough, but now that the faster car gets a clean tree he also has the advantage that first red is the loser. Meaning if the slower car goes red by .001 and the faster car goes red by.050 the faster car still wins, because the slower car went red first.
I think if the faster car get a clean tree as per crosstalk, it should go to worse red is the loser not first red.
sorry so long Ill shut up now,
hope that helps you understand alittle.