fiberglass resins epoxy vs polyester

Old 05-30-2009, 05:31 AM
gmare588
APPRENTICE

Default fiberglass resins epoxy vs polyester

hi, i am working on a race car body that was made with epoxy resin(or this was what i was told) .i had to repair a few small areas,etc and i used polyester resin (i did not find out that it was made with epoxy resin until after i repaired the areas with polyester resin). i have since bought the west system epoxy resin with the hardner.i have used this on the structural areas and i have molded the hood to the fenders. i would like to know if the polyester resin would be ok to fill in low areas over the epoxy resin? i know that i will have to use bondo for some of the final work,but i want to use the resin to fill in the small pin holes,etc.
some of the people that i have asked said that i can use the polyester resin over the epoxy resin and it would be ok, but i wanted to get some more input on this.THANKS garym
Old 06-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Bubstr
JUNIOR BUILDER

You should be ok. I believe the main difference is the polyester is a little more porous than the Epoxy. If you was laminating pieces together, I might worry but to fill pin holes, I don't think you will have a problem.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Bubstr
JUNIOR BUILDER

duplicate deleted
Old 06-09-2009, 05:13 PM
gmare588
APPRENTICE

hi, thanks for your reply. i called the company/chassis shop that made the body and they think that they used polyester resin.the mold that the body was made from i do not think was very good as there are alot of high and low areas. thanks again. garym