Buying a car out of state

Old 05-25-2009, 06:21 PM
christhread
SHOW GUEST

Default Buying a car out of state

I am planning on buying a car that is half way accross the country.
Are there escrow companies that will hold the money until the exchange is made, or how has anyone on here done it.

Just trying to protect myself. I think I can trust the seller, but lots of folks have been ripped off trusting someone.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
8)
Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I like to keep my a$$ets where my a$$ sits.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:29 AM
blowninjected540
EXPERT BUILDER

Don't trust anyone these days, Jump on a plane and fly out there ( it Will be worth it in the long run) and see it for you self and pay for it and line a trucking company up to haul it back. There has been alot of people on hear latly getting screwed, remember times are tough and people will say and do anything to get the dollar. JUST MY 2 CENTS Good Luck !!!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:54 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by blowninjected540
Don't trust anyone these days, Jump on a plane and fly out there ( it Will be worth it in the long run) and see it for you self and pay for it and line a trucking company up to haul it back. There has been alot of people on hear latly getting screwed, remember times are tough and people will say and do anything to get the dollar. JUST MY 2 CENTS Good Luck !!!!!
x2. I would also tell the seller you will arrange to have the local authorities witness the transaction. If it's a scam the seller will backpedal fast.

Dave
Old 05-26-2009, 08:54 AM
andamo
MASTER BUILDER

Maybe someone on this board that lives close to the car you want to buy and would be willing to go look at it for you. Granted, they're looking at it thru their eyes and not yours, but that might be a good thing too. If nobody can do this for you, somehow go look at the car in person before buying it. If the person selling is sincere about selling, they'll understand. And make sure you're sincere about buying too.
I've heard too many stories about people buying cars and parts without looking at them first hand, and the items not turning out to be what they expected. Take the time and do it right, instead of buying a pig in a poke.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:32 AM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

ops: DID I MISS IT :?: :?: WHERE IS CAR LOCATED , MIGHT BE IN SOMEONES HOMETOWN ,,, :idea:
Old 05-31-2009, 07:11 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i sold a car to a guy in Canada last year and he drove From New Brunswick Canada all the way to South Carolina. Spend the extra $300-$500 to fly or drive out and see the car. If you do not know much about cars take someone with you who does..you might want to take someone who knows a little somthing anyway. I like hiaving someone else with No emotions in the deal that can give me their view on things...Just my 3 cents.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-31-2009, 09:53 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

I have bought and sold cars here on RJ on every coast with no problems at all. None!!!!!!!!!

If you plan to spend any type of cash, do yourself a favor, Go look at the car and inspect it yourself. I almost learned my lesson last winter.

Last winter I went to look at a car, 1000 mile trip. Car was suppose to be around a 35,000 car. All the pics he sent were awesome. I was already sold.

But for some odd reason, I took the trip & went to look at the car. When he pulled it out of the garage, I was sold. But when I began to inspect the car, I determined I had just saved myself 35,000.00. I would not have given 3500.00 for it. Seriously!!!!!!!! It was absolutely horrible.

Some poor fellow bought the car on ebay a few days later for 25,000.00.
Man did he get ripped off.

I hate to say it, but I would have paid to be a fly on the wall when he received his new car, Man!!!!!!!!!He has to be bumming!!!!!!!!!!!!